How to get a better sounding exhaust for my mini?

Page 1 / 2
kieran211, Jun 29, 12:49am
So in the hopes of 'manning up' my mini, I want to get a better sound, not necessarily insanely loud, just a nice rumble.

No experience playing round with exhausts here.

How do I do this!

andrea_w, Jun 29, 12:51am
Err. old/new shape!
Engine !

wotz_it_2_ya, Jun 29, 2:13am
Cut off the exhaust and weld them onto a ferrari

dr.doolittle, Jun 29, 3:17am
Youtube is a good place to start looking/hearing about what can be done & on a budget.
Otherwise try googling your local Mini club, bound to be one.

smac, Jun 29, 3:44am
All sorts of advice available.once they answer the questions above.

kieran211, Jun 29, 4:26am
aw yea mite hava look on youtube, its an old 1

cjohnw, Jun 29, 4:31am
If you can get your hands on a JCW (John Cooper Works) exhaust they sound excellent. I had a 2003 Cooper S and changed the factory exhaust to a JCW exhaust and it made a big difference to the sound and a nominal increase in power. Hard thing is finding one. I had a friend source it in the UK and freight it to me. Good luck.

smac, Jun 29, 4:45am
Or not of course.your call.

wizzbikz, Jun 29, 4:48am
Thats easy buy a V8

saki, Jun 29, 5:03am
Go to Woolf mufflers dominion rd get a cooper muffler

kieran211, Jun 29, 5:08am
a cooper muffler! sure thats not for the new mini!

rob_man, Jun 29, 5:15am
There's a universally used muffler style that's been around since the 1960s generically known as a Cooper S muffler. Basically a 2 1/2" straight through glasspack. That's the one you want, heaps of different manufacturers make them but Woolf would be a good first stop.

saki, Jun 29, 5:18am
actually they are 13/4 " available in 4 different lengths they were the muffler of choice in the 60s - 80s

saki, Jun 29, 5:19am
sorry they are for 13/4 tube actually 17/8

rob_man, Jun 29, 5:22am
Are they really! I was sitting here trying to remember what size they were. I had a pair on my 327 powered MkI Jag and I'm sure they were bigger than that. Probably made in different pipe sizes too!

saki, Jun 29, 5:25am
similar type mufflers may have had slightly larger body cooper mufflers were only about 2.5" deep best ones were made by campro

neville48, Jun 29, 9:37pm
I saw a mini at Capital Rodders swap meet with a small block chevy V8 in it, I can gaurantee you that would sound sweet, give it a go mate.

elect70, Jun 29, 11:24pm
2 inch straightpipe with coby muff .

ceebee2, Jun 30, 5:19am
If confused go to your nearest Exhaust shop like Pitt Stop.they will advise. Beware if its too noisy will fail WOF.

toybox, Jul 1, 8:55pm
Yep have to agree with you there, we made thousands of those little buggers and were one of our most popular GP mufflers . We have a 1980 Mini and have one on there with a nice big stainless exhaust extension hanging out theback.

iman007, Jul 2, 7:20am
put a set of headers on and a cooper muffler about a 16 inch oval i would suggest.Minis ive seen had that sounded the bees knees at full noise. Imho, i also believe that will give you better fuel consumption as motor doesnt have so much back pressure, so im told!
make it loud son! Im 50 and i love noise!

smac, Jul 2, 10:00pm
Not to mention a drop in power. If the OP ever comes back with what engine he's running he can get some advice.

wrong2, Jul 3, 7:31am
lol really

"lol" as in lol at you thinking a 1275 couldnt run a 2 inch tailpipe

wrong2, Jul 3, 7:32am
done will be from the coby

i dont know how they have survived as a company - complete oppositegear for HP improvement = coby

smac, Jul 3, 7:45am
DO what you like with the tail pipe for wank factor. I'm talking about an exhaust system.