Ranger / BT50's are Bl**dy big !

Page 2 / 2
mrcat1, May 23, 8:41am
No they are not! They are too similar in size to a 1500 ute in the states so they will not get imported into there from all accounts.

3tomany, May 23, 9:08am
no: more the opposite the ranger has been deleted from u.s sale because it its to close in size to an f150

rob_man, May 23, 9:27am
Well that blows that theory, doesn't apply to the other manufacturers whose utes are getting bigger all the time though. I guess Ford Australia want something to stand in for the F150.
I've been doing a bit of development on canopies for these and the height has caused some consternation, side opening windows are a waste of time because you can't reach inside.

amberjandal, May 23, 9:35am
Would rather have a new model BT-50 than a current Hilux.

cuda.340, May 23, 9:41am
i bet you a new mazda/ford will last longer than a new Hilux. the newer hiluxs's in our fleet are crap. my sole BT50 has just kept on going for the past 4 years virtualy trouble free. it's got more power & drinks less diesel & the interior trim is less fragile than the toyotas.

mrcat1, May 23, 9:56am
Thats what i said.

3tomany, May 24, 6:58am
i would rather have the old bt-50 than a current hilux

3tomany, May 24, 7:00am
just backing you up

fordcrzy, May 25, 6:18am
they arent having problems at all. they just drive differently to the old gearboxes. some of the very early relaese vehicles had an issue which was very very swiftly sorted.

gunhand, May 25, 6:35am
So they had problems then!Hey its second hand news givin to me by someone I would believe in an instint. He got the info from somewhere and hes always in thse kinda places as well.

vtecintegra, May 25, 7:04am
The USA Ranger was a significantly different vehicle to the ones we get anyway - they hadn't update their version in many years

mrcat1, May 25, 10:24am

cuda.340, May 25, 8:24pm
getting back to the original post about the BT50 being big, i am a supporter of this move. i have a 4 year old BT50 & it's been brilliant. mechanically it's outshone the Toyotas in our fleet & it has more torque so it up n goes real quick. being an on road service tech, i'd like it if it was just a tad bigger which the new ones are & they've upped to size of the engine so there will be no slug action like the Navara which is a similar size. the new styling is growing on me & probably in the new year i'll upgrade to this new model. the Freestyle cab is the best in it's class.

flybye_in_a_rx7, May 26, 1:45am
i personally like the new big look. no its no longer a work hack like they used to be, but if your after a work ute, does it have to be the latest model out! if you do need the latest work ute then they do a flat deck option. yes they do seem to be going for more the dodge ram look, except the gas you pay will be a hell of a lot cheaper. i wouldnt mind one for the family wagon.

apexplants, May 26, 3:46am
Prefer the old style BT50 as better for going off road and down bush tracks.
Drive new style BT50 for work and it's already got dents in the body as it's to big for the bush tracks and backcountry roads that we drive on everyday.

mrcat1, May 26, 5:55am
I don't know where you get the idea that the Navaras are a slug, I have a brand new 450 ST-X and it's no slug! It is scarey how quick it is, and then they now have the 550, i honestly think they aren't going to stay on the road for long as they will be just over the top in speed. In the 450 i tend to use the cruise control all the timeand even towing a trailer as you can end up doing 120km without a lot of effort even towing a trailer and not realise it as they are so quick and quiet. The Ranger only has 20 Nm & 7 Kw more than the 450 so won't be that much difference in performance.

fordcrzy, May 27, 6:46am
the navaras speedo is optimistic to say the least.compare it to GPS and its a wonder they even have a speedo as its so innacurate

mrcat1, May 27, 8:40am
i have a navman GPS, and find the speedo and GPS are the same for speed.

fordcrzy, May 27, 8:42am
a couple of work ones are 10kmh optimistic

mrcat1, May 27, 8:46am
A good way to make sure your under the speed limit then.