Ranger / BT50's are Bl**dy big !

Page 1 / 2
gman35, May 22, 10:04pm
Wow , saw a new BT50 up close today , and could not get over how tall they are at the bonnet line and just the general size of the thing ! , are they actually "quite alot" bigger than the previous versions ! BTW re: the styling (BT50) , the front could be questionable , but the taillights certainly do look ridiculus !

nightboss, May 22, 11:05pm

budgel, May 22, 11:24pm
Yeah, the Mazda styling is a good reason to buy the Ford version.

friendly_prawn, May 22, 11:27pm
Its almost lilke the Japanese think its a great idea to try to imitate the huge ass utes the Yanks have been making for years.

As an example I think they had the 4x4 80's 90's Hilux just perfect. And look what they did to them. Tried to make them look as big as possible and ruined something that used to be an icon.

Obviously that's just my opinion.

I think the Japs are heading in the wrong direction with the latest look of their 4x4's. Personally I think the big bulky look is terrible.

kwaka5, May 22, 11:54pm
It would seem that they are trying to turn the ute into a fashion icon rather than a workers vehical. They are becoming so far removed from being a practical trade vehical. The decks are getting higher and shorter and the well sides are now impossible to lean over to get stuff from the center of the deck without the aid of a step ladder. It's supposed to be a utlillity not an everyday car.

tonyrockyhorror, May 22, 11:59pm
You and me both. It's just silly.

tonyrockyhorror, May 23, 12:05am
It's been going that way for quite a while. Look at the Commodore ute with IRS.

rob_man, May 23, 12:09am
They're chasing the US market, we don't figure on their radar even though the first 4WD Toyota ute was developed here.
Edit: I can't back that up, it's one of those things you get told by somebody and it sticks. There's precious little info on the net about it.

gman35, May 23, 12:27am
According to the magazines they ARE an everyday car for people now , but I do agree as to how does someone under 7ft reach into the tray !

friendly_prawn, May 23, 12:33am
lowa it 2 da weeds bra!

serf407, May 23, 1:18am
Certainly miss the simple no frills 4x4 utes with vinyl seats so you didnt have to worry too much jumping in with muddy wet weather gear.
I know someone who had one of the early 4x4 hilux - it was multiple engine, colour changes etc machine.
In Japan, the Hilux was a tie up with Isuzu.
http://www.brian894x4.com/Hiluxgeneration1.html(1978/ 79)

robotnik, May 23, 1:20am
Don't see why trucks can't be fashion accessories too. Lots of ordinary folks in the US use pickup trucks as their everyday vehicle and lots of them are accountants, lawyers and such and not blue collar workers at all.

gman35, May 23, 1:34am
Most here are saying that they are just getting too big , yet too unpracticle (tray height/shape etc) though.

superdave0_13, May 23, 1:44am
I test drove an Amarok today. It's massive too. A big step up from the Hilux!

kwaka5, May 23, 1:44am
Because when you have to work out of one everyday as a tradesman they are just getting less and less practical. And when you need a 4WD vehical as a work wagon then there are not many choices. I carry nearly a half a ton in the back everyday + Ladders on top of the canopy. If they start getting much higher i'll need a step ladder just to get me normal ladder off the top. And i'm not that short.

wasser61, May 23, 2:33am
Not a bad statement, other than the fact that you are completely wrong. The Japanese had nothing to do with the design, styling or mechanical's in the Ford Ranger and BT50. Over 90% was done by Ford Australia, with Mazda adding a couple of smarts. And over here in Australia, they are selling like hotcakes and the mines have now changed there specs so that all utes that will go onto a mine site or CSG Site after 2016 must meet or exceed the Ford Ranger specifications for occupant safety.

friendly_prawn, May 23, 2:47am
hahaha your post is a fail.

Please show me where I have ever stated the Japanese had anythingto do with the design, styling or mechanical's in the Ford Ranger and BT50!

In fact I said competely the opposite. I think the Jap's are copying the yanks.

That's ok, apology accepted.

gunhand, May 23, 6:34am
I get to see these new thngs quite abit as we put canopys on them.They sure as shit are no longer a farmers truck. How the hell do through an old Ewe over the side of it! We are already having people comment that they can not reach there gear from the side. Theyo have all the bells and whistles, as they should for up to 66k. But even getting the kids into the back seats on the double cabs looks like a mission to me.
Had a new Triton in today and it while big is not quite as big as the others and to me looks abit better in some ways. Pretty basic cab layout but all you need. And they have a far nicer paint finish than the Fords/Mazdas.
And these new trucks go like a shower of shit as well.
But the dealers are selling them buy the truck load so someone wants them.
I reckon to make them usefull you need a side opening as well as tail gate. Patent pending LOL.

mugenb20b, May 23, 6:41am
It's a good point that you made about accessing the gear in the back. I never looked at that, nice trucks though. Majority of farmers in our area get Mitsubishi Tritons due to their value for money. $10k cheaper than a Hilux and yet, it does the same job. Would be interesting to see how long all the new utes will last before they pop.

gunhand, May 23, 6:44am
One of our reps has said that a number of Fords are already having gearbox probs as he has seen them lined up at the dealers, you think they would have sorted that out by now

mugenb20b, May 23, 6:47am
Really! I know that '94 to '99 models had gearbox problems, but not the new ones. God, how hard is it to make a strong gearbox I wonder.

robotnik, May 23, 6:49am
There will be a bunch of budget Chinese utes coming to NZ soon, that are already in AU, that will be just the ticket.

rob_man, May 23, 7:08am
Over engineering is definitely a thing of the past.

trdbzr, May 23, 7:13am
Apparently now days car makers make more money from spare parts than actually selling cars. And even car dealers rely on servicing plans and such to make most of their profits. I think the margins in cars is not as high as it used to be.

gunhand, May 23, 7:13am
It will be interesting to see how these new units handle it like a 20 yo hilux has. Most are still going, will a new one be going in 20 years I wonder.