VP Commie useless brakes

hatchback, May 25, 4:31am
They have annoyed me for awhile now, it is an IRS VP Calias (V6) and the brakes are terrible. I have rekitted the Master cyl, Has new rotors and pads all round but about 3mths ago I lowered it, only low not super low. Ok so I put the back of the car up on the ramps today and noticed the flexi hoses are now at a sharper bend than they would be if the car was standard height. Could this be slowing the fluid down to the back brakes. I have two other Commies and they stop fine, one of them is lowered too but has a live axel. Any thought would be much apreciated, thanks guys.

pollymay, May 25, 4:43am
Dats how u want it bro, mean az skidz wit da frunt breaks only.

hatchback, May 25, 4:58am
Thanks but I was hoping for opinions from people with more than a kindercarten education

steve312, May 25, 5:44am
The brake hoses would have to have a very tight kink in them to make any difference to the brakes.Even then it would be more likely that they would be hanging and not releasing rather than not working.Is the vacuum booster working properly.

Give me some more info and I will try and give you some helpful advice.What is the pedal height like, is the pedal hard, is the pedal spongey, what pads have you fitted, are the calipers working freely!

bent_ate, May 25, 7:37am
Yeah itll cut sik hoops now! hahaha

tshop, May 25, 7:47am
an den some bowl,

tshop, May 25, 7:48am
NEK MINUTE!

hatchback, May 25, 8:02am
Thanks steve312, yes pedal is hard but you have to really push hard on the brakes to get them to stop. Have bleed the system well, new rotors and standard pads, can get the front brakes to lock but only at about 30kmh, have swapped mastercyl from one of my other commies that I know stops well but made no difference. I even undid the rear callipers and put a bit of 10ml flat between the pads and stood on the brakes, all good. Booster lowers pedal as normal on start up.Im running out of ideas.

40wav, May 25, 8:15am
Are these brand new rotors and pads! If so, how many ks on them so far! They will take a while to bed in properly.

steve312, May 25, 9:47am
Did you clean the coating off the discs when you fitted them!

Some of the standard pads are sadly lacking in stopping power too (try something like TRW Dtech or Bendix pads).

I would also check the amount of vacuum at your booster.There should be around 20 inches of mercury.Significantly less will affect the braking ability.

demons, May 25, 9:50am
check for vacuum leak.

car27, May 25, 9:12pm
Hi vn-vs had shit brakes fit some vt front brakes with the twin pot callipers

hatchback, May 25, 9:27pm
Thanks guys for the help, I think booster will be my next thought, will check for vacume leak, at times I have thought that the brakes dont feel assisted.

saki, May 26, 1:31am
Police in Feilding ended up with wilwood calipers being fitted to there VPs

petermcg, May 26, 5:17am
If you think it is just your rear brakes,,, did you have the lines disconected as you could have air in there. Otherwise your booster might have hole in the diaghram, I dont know where the F goes in that word.

hatchback, May 26, 10:46pm
Thanks for that, Im starting to think that myself, thats going to be a shit of a job changing that over, yes have bleed the brakes a few times

unbeatabull, May 26, 11:01pm
Can you pinpoint when it started happening! IE After lowering, after fitting new pads rotors etc.

As someone else suggested, did you clean the rotors before fitting them! They come coated in oil to prevent rust etc, if you don't clean it off they'll be crap.

Take the car to a testing station and ask to check it on there brake rollers. That way you can narrow it down to front/rear for sure, or if its just one wheel in particular that's out etc.

If pedal pumps up hard and is hard when driving - ie not going to the floor, then I doubt there is air in the line.

hatchback, May 27, 4:20am
No I cant pinpoint exactly when started happening, I knew th rotors and pads where stuffed when I bought the car and replaced thing over time. May have been about the time I lowered it but I cant be sure, testing station is a good idea.