Mitsi Libero auto - is this worth fixing?

peja, May 23, 4:21am
Have a 95 Libero wagon, the transmission slips a bit between changes, more noticeably when cold. Has been doing this for 20,000 kms now, very very gradually getting worse. Car has done 250k, is fairly rough, engine also a bit smoky, its a 1500 single cam, nothing special.

Any idea what this would cost to fix! If its going to be more than $2-300 I might as well drive it into the ground, which was more or less my plan anyway. If I can stretch another 20-30,000k out of it for 200 then maybe its worth doing!

trogedon, May 23, 5:10am
Have a hunt for a secondhand trans and see what they cost. Its probably going to be half a days labour for a mechanic to fit it. Its worth next to nothing the way it is. Me! I'd get it done and keep using it.

n3d4sp3d, May 23, 8:25am
what oil is in it and what condition is it in, mitsi autos require autran mmsp3 or equivalent, if oil is not red flush it with 10l mmsp3 fluid may be enough to get you through, a transflush is a way cheaper option than gear box replacement. just make sure that whoever you get to do the service ensure they flush it and not just drop it out the bottomas that only replaces 4 of the 10 litres that the box holds

a18a, May 23, 11:42am
If only their motors could hold 10 litres of oil too

phillip.weston, May 23, 9:26pm
I would say it's beyond a trans flush job, especially given that it was happening for 20-30,000kms! If the issue had been seen to much earlier, the friction plates could have been saved from further wear. A new filter with fresh fluid and somehow increasing the transmission line pressure may help.

chip8, May 24, 3:38am
Our Isuzu Bighorn has had a slipping transmission for over 100,000 kms. Turbo has also been whining on turn off for the same amount of time. We use this truck daily towing a loaded trailer.

peja, May 24, 9:40pm
How much is a proper trans flush! Have heard that to do the job properly costs 2-300 by itself which makes it not really worth doing. Fluid was changed not long after I first noticed this happening, made no difference. If as chip8 says it'll go another 100,000km then I'll just keep driving it, very much doubt rest of car will last to 350k

peja, May 26, 2:22am
Have Googled cost of a transmission flush, seems to vary from around $140 (worth it on a sub $1000 car) to up around $250 plus. Any reccomendations as to where in AK or West AK I can get this done reasonably cheap. I dont mind cutting a few corners to save money as I dont see this car lasting past 300,000 km anyway