Oil in air filter

dannyboy24, May 25, 5:33am
hello i have a 1988 mitsi mirage which has served me well until yesterday when it lost pretty much all its power (managed to get me home tho) i took it to a mechanic and he whipped off the air filter cover to find the filter soaked in oil and he reckoned that it was suffocating the engine. I told him that the guy from oilchangers had noticed it 6 months ago and said i needed a new PCV valve but the mechanic reckoned he was full of s$#t and my car didnt even have one.He was also confused as to how the oil got in there. He suggested running my car for a day to make sure no more oil got in there before putting a new filter in. Today the (filterless) car ran better than it ever has but to my dismay there does indeed seem to be a wee bit of oil once again in the filterbox. Any ideas what might be up! Does my shitty car indeed have a PCV valve that may be on the dodge!
Thanks in advance!

mugenb20b, May 25, 5:38am
Excessive blow by maybe! There is a breather tube that goes from the rocker cover to the air filter box.

msigg, May 25, 5:53am
It sounds like a typical mitsi, most do eventually develope blow by as the engines wears out. Its running better because the engine is getting more air than it did before (like on choke). Maybe thicker engine oil would help.Don't over rev it. Start saving for a new car. It will still last a while but may fail on any new emisions tests!. Good luck.

dannyboy24, May 25, 5:59am
Both good advice thanks guys. The mechanic said there were disconnected hoses under the filter housing which also confused him (although he left them) should i maybe get another mech to have a nosey for a second opinion! I know nothing about cars i lay bricks for a living

msigg, May 25, 6:11am
Well disconnected hoses is not how the engine was designed, something has happened to do this/someone! for a reason. Yes I would get someone else to look at it / what sort of mechanic is the last one/ not much if you ask me from what hes said/done!.

andrea_w, May 25, 6:15am
Is it turbo or n/a!

dannyboy24, May 25, 6:16am
He has done a bit of work on my car now and then and always done a great job but yea i may sneak it in for a second opinion somewhere

dannyboy24, May 25, 7:01am
nope its not a turbo

ema1, May 25, 7:27am
Still quite common though on either, heck even 25 years ago when I was in the motor trade the number of air filters we replaced on some of them due to being oiled up staggered me back then even!

andy61, May 25, 10:19am
A common modification back in the day was to shift the breather inlet on the air cleaner to the inside of the air cleaner elementto keep the element clean.