Tail light / interior lights don't work

ckfosh0, May 23, 7:51am
I was wondering if someone could help me fix these issues in my car.It is an old subaru wagon.Just trying to get it ready to be able to drive at night again.I live out in Ashburton, and would gladly pay someone for there time and expertise over the weekend if that suits you.Thanks a bunch!

kazbanz, May 23, 8:21am
check the fuzes

ckfosh0, May 24, 6:47am
I checked it today and it keeps blowing the fuse that is out.Probably just an electrical problem though.I have no idea really to be honest, I know very little about electrical or car things.

4piggy, May 24, 8:33am
Most likely the stereo wiring if its had a aftermarket stereo fitted(common fault),unplug stereo and try new fuse if it doesnt blow cut wire that goes to black wire on deck and retry plugging in deck

stabi360, May 24, 8:50am
after you have done that go and check the fuses

jmma, May 24, 9:12am
Have you replaced any bulbs, eg brake/tail light !

jmma, May 24, 9:12am
This is more fun (o:

ema1, May 24, 9:41am
Take the tail light bulbs out and also the interior light bulb out, fit a new fuse and see if it blows!
If not the replace the bulbs one at a time and check fuse after each one you replace that way you'll narrow the fault down to it's source.
That way the short to earth/ground will be located in the lamp unit concerned or possibly damaged wiring grounding out on which ever lamp circuit you find it's bulb blows the fuse on. Could also be a defective door switch grounding out when it goes to operate the interior lights! Other than that have an auto sparky sort it for you, should be a quick easy fix actually.

unclejake, May 24, 9:50am
I think you are onto something there.

unclejake, May 24, 9:52am
Ema1 - I believe interior lights are usually earth switched, i.e. the door switch should 'ground out' to light the interior lamp(s)

ema1, May 24, 10:36am
Correct was forgetting that UJ Of course they are earth switched, more likely to be a wiring fault at the roof lamp unit itself come to think of it, but take the bulb out & check it with it out to see what happens!
Then again if car has a trailer light coupling there could be "crossed" circuitry fault there too or possibly grounding/shorting by "Bare" wiring at the coupling wiring where it passes through body aperture .maybe. Grounding/shorting fault someplace for sure.

ema1, May 24, 10:52am
Wonder if the car has had some "Jerry" wiring related to a DIY fitting of an audio system done to it!

unclejake, May 24, 11:22am
^ It could be as simple as an ill-fitted tail light bulb though. It someone mashed the wrong one in there it could cause a 'short'.

I think your earlier advice (of removing all bulbs from the affected circuit) was sound,

outbidyou2, May 24, 11:29am
What sound. !