Hey jazz, what about this Passat?

grangies, Apr 30, 5:36am
Is a ! a Passat!

grangies, Apr 30, 6:33am
I was referring to the fact that you put no link up to direct to the Passat.

ryanm2, Apr 30, 6:37am
oh yeah, im tired.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 30, 6:43am
Gidday Ryan,
Looks pretty clean and tidy to me. Its the very last of the old shape though so they are wanting plenty for it. But then with cars going up in price and if it is a really nice example then perhaps its worth the money.
Just do all the usual checks i.e make sure the air con is going, check the oil is nice and clean and no scunge under the cap. Auto running smoothly etc.

Remember to budget for a cambelt/tensioners/waterpump if they are due and remember to change the waterpump immediately if it hasn't been changed since new.

Best of luck with it and feel free to hit me up if you have any more questions. Its certainly worth a look at in my opinion, but perhaps arm twist them a bit on price, especially if cambelt etc is due.

ryanm2, Apr 30, 7:26am
thanks for the info, ive never owned a Euro and my mates Audi A4 (bought almost new) turned out to be a lemon so imcertainly a sceptical euro virgin.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 30, 7:37am
All cars can break ryan and sometimes manufacturing faults etc occour with even the best made brands, but people tend to notice what they are looking for/scared of. For example Hilux's crack heads all the time but no one even blinks an eye! Speaking of Toyota they have literally recalled millions of cars for various reasons of the last year or so, so clearly no one is immune.

The Passat is a really well built vehicle and quite a nice machine to work on yourself if thats how you want to deal with it. Just like any other car, reliability is a combination of milage done, service history, how the car has been treated just as much as what badge is on the front.

Check it out thoroughly and if its a nice well maintained example the odds are very much in your favour that you will get a great run out of it. Plus if you do just have bad luck and need to do a repair at least with the VW parts are easily available and very well priced.

Remember, in any other country in the world they refer regularly to "German Quality" with high esteem. VW must be doing something right to be the second largest (and shortly will be the largest) vehicle manufacturer in the world. Don't buy into the silly wives tales started by cheesy salesmen trying to push their used Japanese Imports.

Best of luck with it all!

thejazzpianoma, Apr 30, 7:43am
BTW, if you want a laugh. A few days ago in one of these threads a poster spoke to her mechanic about Mondeo's, Mazda's and VW's.

He said the VW will cost more in the long run (based on what I have no idea) and that Mondeo's engines must be terrible as they had several in for reconditioning so she is best to buy a Mazda.

Now, Mondeo's and Mazda's run exactly the same engines!. so the moral of the story is do your own maths and research and don't take too much from your last anecdotal experience!

grangies, Dec 28, 4:19pm
Body wise, the Passat is leagues ahead in quality, compared to any Euro Holden or Ford, and even most Japanese vehicles too.

And up against any Aussie built Jappa (misti/toyota) or GM or Ford it is light years ahead.