Tyre Pressure?

shortee2, Jun 4, 3:28am
Tyres are.185/ 65rsteel belted Radials, cant find the PSI on them, also is the back tyre pressure different from the front. as.it was on my last car.

Cheers.

callum.irvine, Jun 4, 3:41am
Think it is more dependant on the car than the tyre. All the cars I have owned have had the recommended pressure somewhere on the drivers door insert, or the door itself. Of course, if you have aftermarket wheels, the pressure could be diff to the recommended one there. The pressure on the actual tyres is usually just a maximum allowable.

petermcg, Jun 4, 5:49am
32 PSI

johnf_456, Jun 4, 5:53am
32 to 34 but no idea on car

jasongroves, Jun 4, 5:54am
What is the vehicle!
Are they factory wheels and tyres!

mrfxit, Jun 4, 6:29am
A start for general usage would be .

FWD = 28psi rear / 34psi front
RWD = 28spi rear / 30psi front

Tyre size is almost but not as important as vehicle type & usage

shortee2, Jun 5, 1:51am
Thankyou for the answers.the Car is a'' Toyota Ist'',gets usedevery days.

Cheers.

lyonruge, Jun 5, 1:56am
32psi all round will be fine

shortee2, Jun 5, 2:15am
Thankyou.

dan.kev, Jun 5, 5:27am
32 psi all four tyres i work for a tyre co

mrfxit, Jun 5, 7:08am
Whatever you say, can't go wrong with a Pro aye .
Depending on what it's used for themost> >>

32 ok front for trips
34 front around town
28 back with just a driver
32 back with moderate loads

Tyre shops NEED tyres to wear out or they don't make sales (but not that fast that ppl click to it)
Car manufactures set a compromise psi that will "work" ok in most situations but won't get the best wear overall for specific jobs.
Because NZ doesn't make cars, the pressures are set for most overseas roads of a totally different road surface type & fairly flat roads compared to NZ's "goat tracks & 4 seasons in 1 day" climate.

shortee2, Jun 5, 9:37am
So your saying i should i should have a different pressure front and back!

Its a Toyota Ist,one person usually , the Driver.no big loads. from what you have put that would mean.
Front 34
Back 28

Or have i read it wrong!

mrfxit, Jun 5, 11:20am
Most likely the case is yes.
I am unaware of the vehicle's gross weight but thats about it in a nutshell

Try this as an explanation (of sorts) .
300kg per wheel at 30psi wears the tread evenly
250kg per wheel at 30psi will wear the center of the tread faster then the edges.
350kg per wheel at 30psi will wear the edges faster then the center of the tread

Front tyres at 30psi /300kg per wheel & turning corners, wears the edges faster but is compensated for (in part) by running higher pressures.

The back of most vehicles is lighter then the front.
On a FWD you have the motor /gearbox & diff ALL sitting over the front wheels & only a light weight trailing axle in the rear of that same vehicle.

A RWD vehiclehas the motor over the from wheels/ gearbox between front & back wheels, & a substantial diff in the back of that vehicle

mrfxit, Jun 5, 11:26am
Just checked your vehicles size & would most likely go with 34psi front & 30psi rear.
Part of the tread wear belongs to HOW you drive it & WHAT you carry.

I know of many ppl that can't get more then about 25,000kms from a front set of NEW 265/70/15" 4x4 tyres.
My Surf still has the same set of barely wof tyres on it after 20,000kms & 3 years later STILL got a new wof last month

shortee2, Jun 6, 2:20am
So glad you clarified things with that second Post, that first post was looking a bit Technical, as all i wanted was the PSI, not a long involved explanation.So thanks.

mrfxit, Jun 6, 3:25am
To get the best wear & handling, you need to understand WHY the Fwd/Rwd Weight /Road type issues are important.

Little wonder the tyres companys laugh so hard at the general population