20valve 4age black top using oil

samage, Jun 13, 7:43am
toyota carib 1996 bz-touring. useing heaps of oil but doesent smoke a hell of a lot from what i can tell. also runs slightly cold on long drives and can be slugish in 2nd 3rd gear untill the revs get up then it takes of. any ideas what the problem could be! cheers

samage, Jun 13, 7:46am
have taken to mechanic and put computer on it and it showed no fault codes. im thinking it may need new rings or valve guides! also anybody know ruffly ow much id be looking at for new rings etc!

richynuts, Jun 13, 7:50am

samage, Jun 13, 7:58am
3k for new rings! i was thinking mor like 500!

samage, Jun 13, 7:59am
have you rebuilt a blacktop before! or is that just a random guess!

r15, Jun 13, 8:00am
rings are cheap. getting them in and out is not

delerium1, Jun 13, 8:26am
Yamaha head. all 4ages go through oil after a while. If it is really noticeable then the problem with doing head work is 20 valves. thats a lot of valve springs to move.

samage, Jun 13, 8:37am
yeah its only done 120,000 kms and im the second nz owner. thought it woulda lasted abit longer than that

msigg, Jun 13, 8:42am
Its been thrashed too much.

mrcat1, Jun 13, 9:19am
Have you given it a oil change and filter lately! What grade of oil are you using!

samage, Jun 13, 9:32am
yes and using 15/40

mugenb20b, Jun 13, 9:35am
And how many laps has it done around Mt Fuji!

ola_bitchola1, Jun 13, 9:41am
No leaks! They are pretty good at leaking out of the vvt solenoid and the dizzy

henderson_guy, Jun 13, 10:22am
AND the cam seal.

ceebee2, Jun 14, 5:11am
Can you be a bit more scientific in "Using Heaps of oil" as I have had many customers describe this phenomenon and it is interesting how personal perception varies. e.g Recorded mileage versus exactly how much oil you have to put in to match the top mark each time on a level surface!

vtecnet, Jun 14, 7:51am
If its using less then a litre of oil per 5000k's just put up with it, if its running too cold replace the thermostat.
As for being gutless down low, they are like that, but running it on decent fuel helps, ie 95/98, these engines have 11-1 Compression and hate 91 fuel.

samage, Jun 14, 9:49am
filled oil up to F on dip stick. drove from wanaka to dunedin and back and abit around towns approx 650ish kms and dip stick reads just under halfway on dip stick. so is using quite abit

guest, Jun 25, 5:15am
Hey one other place oil leaks which is really common on these engines is the fuel filter adapter seal. They wear out and the seals go flat where they should be rounded. You could be loosing some oil there. Also try cleaning the air to fuel ratio senor. Mine was filthy and was very sluggish. Now its running much better now.

guest, Sep 25, 1:58pm
Dear Susan,I have been considering doing the Daniel fast and found your webtise concerning it. Several years ago the Lord led me to do a similar eating plan. I felt the Lord say that I did not have a golden calf in my life, I had a chocolate-sugar coated calf that consumed by thinking as I bowed down to it on a very regular basis. I called this way of eating my no sweets, no meats diet. I did it for about 1 1/2 years. I was amazed at how good I felt. NOTHING could have ever convinced me that sugar made me tired until I stopped eating it and found out how much more energy I had. I also noticed how much more clearly I heard the voice of God and equated at least some of it with the fact that I felt so much better physically. I recently went to full time work when my husband became disabled. This change has left me grasping for convience and our eating habits are nothing like they used to be. I long to eat better but do not know where to begin. Just last year my husband was diagnosed with Crohn's disease which has made eating even more of a challenge. I am interested in learning about the Daniel fast for my own life but was wondering if you knew how, or if, to approach such change when a person has Crohn's disease. Can you give me any information about this subject? The medical doctors and community have been no help. Often they suggest that he eat pudding, jello and mashed potatoes. I am very concerned about the lack of nutrition he receives on a daily basis. I don't know where to turn.Blessings!Dee

guest, Sep 26, 4:48pm
I have a wedding to be in in November, I'm a brmiisdaed. When I was fitted for my dress I was 10 pounds lighter. I am TERRIFIED! I'm even talking to my husband about getting counseling because I just can't remain in control of my choices. I don't know what I'm going to do. It seems like if I was on an island for 30 I would have time to prep foods, eat well, exercise etc But the reality is I run my own business out of my home, I homeschool for 4 hours a day, I'm a wife to a husband who can eat anything and will not gain an ounce! And I'm on a fixed income and fixed time! I feel like I'm just drowning. I hope this CLN will help.