Insurance for 'classic' car.

Page 1 / 2
barrie2, Jun 6, 5:17am
Any suggestions for ins cover for 'recent' classic used 2 x week at most, 3500k max per year. thanks.

paulap, Jun 6, 5:18am
What is it!

barrie2, Jun 6, 5:29am
Was hoping no-one would ask. PT Cruiser 2003 - King of Bling - lots of chrome- looks as new condition - K&N filter & Borla pipes only extra under the bonnet so not a racer just my toy & as a 'poor pensioner' it is my only pleasure. lol.

thunderbolt, Jun 6, 5:42am
Not old enough to qualify for any classic car schemes that I know of.

andrea_w, Jun 6, 5:46am
"PT Cruiser" and "classic" don't go in the same sentence.
It's nothing special, insure it for market value with a regular insurer

paulap, Jun 6, 5:49am
Nota classic. But just ask around all insurers to get the best offer.

skittles93, Jun 6, 5:51am
aw shucks, the man was being humble about it no need to insult him.

franc123, Jun 6, 6:10am
You would only be able to insure that under a standard policy.Declare all the extras but bear in mind that all these bling bits add no value to what they think its market value is, they jack the premiums up but nothing else.

ceedoubleyou, Jun 6, 6:23am
I think it's 20 yrs old, to qualify for Classic car insurance and 40 yrs old to qualify for reduced rego. To qualify for the insurance I have to travel less than 5000km pa.

mgmad, Jun 6, 7:25am
Depends on the company, our 2005 MG ZT is insured as a "modern classic" with classic cover, but it is the V8 and hence quite rare. Our 98 MGF is also insured as a modern classic with classic cover.

Edit to say, it will depend on the insurance company and their own definition on what is a "modern" classic - for classic cover, they basically seem to cover anything that's not going to be day to day transport, and is a bit different/potential future classic.

richard112, Jun 6, 9:38am
20 years! My Telstar is gunna be a classic nek yr!

nzfatie, Jun 6, 12:06pm
Go classic guys.my 1974 Hillman Avenger valued at $4000 costs $82 per year for full insurance with the AA and only 18 months until $111 rego too.
The car's going up in value to boot.no more modern cars for me.LMAO

alltorque350, Jun 6, 7:07pm
So if you have an actual classic car who is the cheapest / best insurer!

tuttyclan, Jun 6, 7:57pm
30 years old for Classic Car Insurance.

omega12, Jun 6, 9:19pm
All our classic cars are insured through AA. Can't fault them so far.
And Tuttyclan is right, it's 30 years.

modie61, Jun 6, 9:27pm
Is my VN Calais v8 a classic !

elect70, Jun 7, 2:28am
PT cruisera classic !. you must be joking, no classic car insurerer would look at it. . Chrysler might have tried to give it aoldstyle look butthats as far as it gets .May becollectable in 10 years time , if any left .

ceedoubleyou, Jun 7, 3:19am
Ok, mines 44 yrs old and I had to get a valuation.

socram, Jun 8, 4:42am
Regardless of whether you think it is a classic or not, my 2002 modern has been on a limited mileage classic policy from day 1, along with the daily driver (unlimited mileage - new vehicle), plus a classic car now used for track use only but was also on a limited mileage policy and is still covered for fire and theft etc, plus the classic project car that is still under construction but is worth a reasonable amount of money, plus a transporter trailer.All are at myagreed value and the premium reflects that and last year it was about $1400 all up.
All insured through Classic Cover and at a very favourable rate (Vero). The one claim I have had was sorted with no paperwork and didn't affect the premium.The car was back from my choice of establishment in 10 days.

barrie2, Jun 8, 9:11pm
Thanks - for advice and insults. lol. PT will become Classic if only for its unusual appearance - a breakaway from the rest of the modern family cars. Critics should drive one, corner at speed with no worries, comfort, solid, good vision but not rapid off the blocks. US have the turbo version. hmmm. My original question was due to very limited use but still pay a high premium which I hoped to reduce a bit.

jason18, Jun 9, 1:12am
Try Swann Insurance.

chris.f, Jun 9, 1:18am
This PT's a classic: http://tinyurl.com/83xyzfy

elect70, Jun 9, 1:51am
Put a V8 in itlike it should have had from thestartthat would have made it a classic .

nightboss, Jun 9, 8:15am
I have to speak up here, I usually refrain from the shallow habit of bagging certain makes or models. However, the Chrysler PT Cruiser is a "tribute" model in that it has a standard underbody, powerplant and runninggear. Capped with a period styled body.

Of all the cars avaliable in 2003 the PTC will only reach the title of classic by reaching the government mandated numbers of years. Calling it a classic does not make it so.

So please answer me; are you trying to wind up the message board or are you seriously in the belief that your less than ten year old mass-produced underpowered American car is a "classic"

pebbles61, Jun 9, 12:17pm
Ewww PT Cruiser lol. But I can't laugh, it's a vegemite car like mine.People love them or hate them.