Lexus V8 early 90's or Maxima early 2000s?

ambo11, Jun 5, 5:39am
Having a discussion with the neighbour across from me, an older bloke who wants a cruisy/comfortable big car. He absolutely loves the early 1990's Lexus V8's, which are a beautiful car, but for the same price or less he can get a 2000-2003 3 litre Maxima, which he also likes. Any owners of these cars on here! I reckon the V8 Lexus would cost no more to run than the V6 Maxima, and is classier, but the Maxima would be around 10 years younger. He has a stiff knee following replacement which isn't going to get much better since he's in his late 50's and has had a hard life.lol., and he isn't interested in a "higher" vehicle for easier access, he has his heart set on either a Lexus or a Maxima. Whats opinions on both these cars! Most Lexus I have seen are now being butchered by young punks who want the low "gansta" look.ruining a beautiful car. He also was slightly keen on the ES300 1990s but I've put him off, as I had one of them which cracked a head at low kms. If I get enough opinions I'll drag him over here so he can read for himself. In his eyes either the Lexus or Maxima.won't touch a Ford or Holden. Cheers

msigg, Jun 5, 5:45am
I would say the maxima would be slightly higher so would be easier to get in and out from. A later model car is nearly always better, Either are nice cars , must drive one or two then make up mind.

richardmayes, Jun 5, 5:52am
There are not that many old Lexuses on the road. but plenty of old Maximas around. probably better support available for the Maxima when it one day "fails to proceed"!

craig04, Jun 5, 6:27am
I used to own a 99 LS400. Beautiful to drive. Mine was the 5speed auto whereas the early 90's were 4 speeds. Mine was using around 13-14 litres per 100km's around town if driven sensibly and 8-9 litres per 100km's on the open road. When I took the key out of the ignition on mine, the steering wheel would rise up and move to the left to make it easier to get in and out of. I'm not sure if the early 90's did that. The biggest disappointment on mine was the boot size. It was too small. The back seats are electric and as such, they don't split and fold as all the electrics are in the way. All in all though, a lovely car and surprisingly economical.

budgel, Jun 5, 7:37am
The Maximas are good cars, but you have to like front wheel drive and savage depreciation combined.

flack88, Jun 5, 8:41am
This would be a goodie 480966413 ,series11 Lexus lota changes in this model from early one,brakes,motor ,safety,inproved on these,transmission in the unlikely eventit shat itself,are about 150 dolla for another!dont worry bout the ks its nothing for these . Then drive a Maxima .

thewomble1, Jun 5, 9:01am
Depending on model of Maxima less electrics to go wrong. Maxima just as comfortable etc without having large amount of cash tied up in a car.

ambo11, Jun 5, 9:39am
Yep that looks a tidy Lexus, will show him tomorrow. Gearbox for $150! Are they a common box shared with other cars! Interesting comment about the Maxima being just as comfortable, never ridden in a Lexus myself, but would have thought they would be nicer than a Maxima, or are the year 2000 onwards Maximas really nice as well to travel in! He could find a Maxima easy enough to test round here I'd say, but the Lexus are fairly rare.

timmo1, Jun 5, 10:34am
Yep- the 4 speed trans is also behind just about every other large RWD Toyota of that era (Soarer, Supra, Aristo, Crown, Chaser etc).

The GS300 is another Lexus to consider depending on budget, should be a bit cheaper to run too.

usdefault, Jun 5, 11:47am
Nothing wrong with the later model ES300 with the improved motor. 1999 models on here for cheap. Nice cars. The LS400 is a bit of a cumbersome beast.