So how about the guy with the lexus

Page 1 / 2
afer_daily, Mar 2, 6:25am
in chch / wall of building falls on it / him and wife get into car it starts / they drive to nelson catch ferry to wellington / then as they are driving home to waikinai! they get green stickerd / but are allowed to continue on home!

ginga4lyfe, Mar 2, 6:27am
a Lexus! I thought it was a Toyota Harrier!

stevo2, Mar 2, 6:27am
Yep, thats a story to tell the grandkids eh, especially with photos and the TV vid of the building falling on it.
Cheers Stevo

afer_daily, Mar 2, 6:28am
whatever /on the news they said it was a lexus suv !

im_andrew, Mar 2, 6:29am
Yeah I saw it in the paper today. The guy was saying he only had a small space of windscreen to see out of, and no wipers.

stevo2, Mar 2, 6:30am
Correct but since they are both essentially the same- who cares.
Cheers Stevo

thejazzpianoma, Mar 2, 6:32am

afer_daily, Mar 2, 6:32am
al most as good as that racing around the welly waterfront years ago and this open wheeler lost a rear wheel which bounced over the wharf gates bounced again and into the rear window of a car parked on the road outside.

quickstitch, Mar 2, 6:38am
it wasnt an open wheeler, it was a touring car if my memory is correct.

afer_daily, Mar 2, 6:38am
thanks for that post jazz/ you always come up with the goods .

thejazzpianoma, Mar 2, 7:16am
Especially when said with that slow southern town drawl.

ntalke, Mar 2, 7:02pm
Top Gear (UK) should chase this story

Go with their Hilux they tried to destroy

eagles9999, Mar 2, 7:54pm
Sounded quite dodgy tho when he described driving in the rain at night with no wipers (of course) and oncoming lights reflecting off all the different angles of the broken glass.

pdc1, Mar 2, 8:05pm
yep, it was a Lexus. I saw it in Nelson. Really brought home the EQ.
Looked quite dodgey with the windscreen, but good to see some symphathic cops under the circumstances. Can't of been that bad to see through, after all they made it home - although the story about the bruised hands from driving it! Paper now says it is going to be written off. Maybe some value to Lexus for advertising!

trogedon, Mar 2, 8:31pm
Amazing story. I doubt I would've been brave enough to attempt to drive it (not with the whanau on board anyway). Good on the cops!

gusthe1, Mar 2, 10:16pm
I like this quote from the moron, "Mr Vendt defended the police, and his own actions. "The car is a terrible mess, but it's not structural, it's cosmetic really," he said." Yeah mate its just cosmetic - that will buff out no problem.

big.b-lil.c, Mar 2, 11:21pm
+1 the least he should have done is kick the front screen out and park up when it got dark

directorylist, Mar 2, 11:25pm
"now back in Waikanae, the Vendts have been told the Lexus is a writeoff. "

LOL shit, ya reckon!

a18a, Mar 3, 12:02am
Now I wonder what the story would be if he had hit someone due to poor visibility

vtecintegra, Mar 3, 12:02am
Exactly - quote from the article:
"As night fell, it began to rain, making it difficult to see cars braking on the winding roads in front of them. "When it started raining I could not put the wipers on and lights coming towards us went in all directions," Mr Vendt said."

Sure sounds purely cosmetic

attitudedesignz, Mar 3, 12:16am
Yep, and so are the cops that let him keep going.

franc123, Mar 3, 7:16am
Too right bob,it was the height of foolishness carried out by a poncy self promoting ignoramus who had no good reason for doing it.Anyone with any brains who didn't have access to another vehicle in Chch would have just got a plane ticket and got a rental car once in the NI, not done an upper SI jaunt and a ferry trip in a clearly unsafe vehicle. Its not like the airport was closed for very long after the quake.Just two examples here, you know as well as I do what the rules are re windscreen condition and damage to doors/pillars and latches, with a screen clearly smashed in and the door skins and frames almost completely separated from each other there is no way in hell it should have been moved anywhere except to an assessment centre.Many motorists have had a much larger book thrown at them for much more minor offences.

yogman, Mar 3, 7:16am
I agree, what a complete moron!. Can understand wanting to get out of Chch, but to do it that way and risking not only their lives but the lives of others on the road!

jarrod261, Mar 3, 7:19am
Sounds like he was a bit of an idiot for driving it in that condition.
Would have been a different story in the news if he had of crashed and killed someone.

johnf_456, Mar 3, 7:32am
+1 I'll say, someone could of easily been hurt then people fail wof's on shit like no water in the screen washer tank or if its factory it should work. Like fog lights when not all cars have them. Cops should of thrown the book at him, no excuse.

If anyone else lost a child or a loved one how would he live with himself. The cop and him are a moron for putting public safety at risk.