EVO in an L300 Van

Page 1 / 2
el-chico, Jul 13, 3:58am
Ive got a 1989 Delica 4x4 van. The problem is the motor is smoky and laking power, I think it's on its way out. The other thing is the standard carby petrol 2000cc engine is very uneconomical.

I am thinking of repowering, and rather than just a rebuild , I noticed the engine no isa 4G63. I also see the evo engine is a newer turbo version of this.

Has anyone had much experience of this conversion and what is required! I saw this EVO L200 so I presume it can be done.

Big q would be mating up to the gearbox, and if I could keep the 4x4 function.

Also who are experts in the AKL region on doing these conversions!

supernova2, Jul 13, 4:45am
Let me take a guess.Cost of conversion including cert say $20K.Value of van after work done say $3K.Sounds like briliant idea to me!

n1smo_gtir, Jul 13, 5:24am
it's like giving an 89yr old grandmother a 12yr old's heart. doable and expensive but don't expect to get anywhere near what you put in back when you decide to sell it. it's more of a project for someone in the know how.

sr2, Jul 13, 6:21am
x1
If we all took the advice of the last two posters we??

morrisjvan, Jul 13, 6:46am
You would sell your grandmother !

sr2, Jul 13, 7:03am
I'd make it a $1 auction and let the market decide.

phillip.weston, Jul 13, 9:07am
You would want a Starion turbo engine block, VR-4 crank/rods/pistons/oil pump/timing gear and Evo head and manifolds. VR-4 or Evo block wont bolt to the 4WD gearbox.

sr2, Jul 14, 1:41am
I'm not familiar with the 4WD box, is it for the wide or narrow block!

phillip.weston, Jul 14, 4:45am
all 4WD L200 and L300s are wideblock, they use the same 215mm clutch as the Starion turbo so require the wider bellhousing pattern. 2WD 2.0 models are narrowblock, while 2WD 2.4 models are wideblock again.

phillip.weston, Jul 14, 4:46am
you could use a VR-4 or Evo engine complete but would need to use either an adapter plate or somehow fit the 4WD gearbox internals into a 2WD bellhousing/front section.

sr2, Jul 14, 5:20am
I cut up a Starion g/box to make a bell housing to fit a T5 box to an Evo III motor, with the exception of one bolt (I had to weld an additional lug on) it was a direct fit. I was under the impression that it was a narrow stud pattern!

carkitter, Jul 14, 9:09am
Aren't the engine mount positions different for longitudinal and transverse mounting (RWD/4WD v FWD/AWD)!

phillip.weston, Jul 14, 9:22am
All Starion turbo engines have the wideblock 330mm bottom dowel spacing. E39A VR-4, Lancer Evo have the 310mm bottom dowel spacing. People often confuse wideblock and narrowblock with the top two bellhousing bolt positions which is usually interchangeable as the bellhousng or engine block has drillings for both.

I would say the box you have was not a Starion box. Was it cable or hydraulic clutch! if cable clutch then it would have been from a Sigma or L200.

phillip.weston, Jul 14, 9:25am
Depends on the year of the block. Anything with the engine placed on the passengers side (ie Galant VR-4, Lancer Evo, first shape RVR/Chariot turbo) have tappings on the block to attach the RWD mounts to. The blocks with the engines on the drivers side (ie Evo4 onwards) don't have the RWD tappings as it was an entirely new casting and the existing longitudinal models still retained the earlier block and head orientation.

el-chico, Jul 23, 8:11am
hi guys thanks for all your ideas, thanks sr2 for the links and ideas, i had a read up and quickly came to the conclusion it is way behind the scope of what i should do for the old girl.

Although the EVO turbo prospect would be great once finished it is prob. not worth the outlay of finding a good one, buying an engine management system, and installing it, with all the transmission hook up woes.

The idea of the starion block is intrigiung, what are some N/A options for me! Basically what is more interesting than just putting in a 2.4 injected L300 engine!

yudasgoat2000, Jul 23, 8:17am
How about trying to fit a 4G55 or 6G72 into it!

el-chico, Jul 23, 8:38am
The 4G55 could work but the V6 is probably a headache.

phillip.weston, Jul 23, 8:46am
what's a 4G55!

6G72 SOHC 24V with auto trans from an L400 4WD would be a good swap. It would definitely fit in the hole and mounts wont be a problem. There is an L300 on trademe with a SOHC 12V 6G72 transplanted into it and there's plenty of room, the tightest fit is the inlet plenum to seat panel clearance.

splinter67, Jul 23, 8:49am
Great ideas but with the handling capability of the L300 4x4 vans something that powerful would make your van almost undrivable try it in a non 4x4 would be a lot of fun

yudasgoat2000, Jul 24, 9:33am
2.6L Inline 4 out of the late '80's/early '90's Sigma/Magna.

I believe it was also used in early '90's L200s.

phillip.weston, Jul 24, 9:54am
2.6 is the 4G54. 4G55 is a 2.3L which is only found in forklifts and such, and technically doesn't exist in the passenger car market.

yudasgoat2000, Jul 25, 8:53am
Oops, so it is.
No idea what made 55 stick in my mind.

el-chico, Jul 25, 10:12am
yep remember driving a 2.6 magna wagon a long time back and been suitably unimpressed, seemed to lack the ability to rev very well, and had that very mitsi sound to it, hard to explain but kind of like a heavy intake sound. the l300 has it too.

Anyway the 2.6 would be torquey and suit the nature of the van a lot more, prob. not as heavy as a lot of other 6s too.

klrider, Jul 25, 7:41pm
Photo!

bevharris1938, Jul 25, 8:19pm
Buy my motor , go well in that l300