When selling a car on Trade Me .

tess59, Jul 10, 9:04am
I can see that it is $39.00 to list a car for sale, for however long it takes, but is there a success fee once it is sold! Thanks for your help, going to list the first car that I have had to sell, any tips much appreciated.

nightboss, Jul 10, 9:42am
Reply politely to all question no matter how dumb they are.

gammelvind, Jul 10, 9:46am
Clean your car inside and out before you take photos, make sure you have removed all the McD wrappers and empty drink bottles off the seats and floor.

dunedin_moto, Jul 10, 9:56am
Run an auction

$39 + success fee (1.95% of sale price up to $39)

dunedin_moto, Jul 10, 9:58am
Just to add to this, use all 20 photos. You are paying for them.so use them. Take the photos in a flattering place with a nice background too. A nice cloudy day is the go.

dunedin_moto, Jul 10, 10:00am
Oh, and be honest as you possibly can with your description.
List any known faults, repair and maintenance work done, cam belt, oil and filter etc.
The more info in your auction, the less questions you will have to ask.
Dont hide your rego plate either, people like to be able to check for info on carjam etc.

doctor_evil99, Jul 10, 8:46pm
give the ad to your friend once the car sold.they can change the photos!
Can't change the heading thought. ;o)

kazbanz, Jul 10, 9:28pm
You are selling a car not scenery -That said a nice backdrop is fine.
Get close to the car so it fills the frame. start with the rf corner then right side then front on then left corner then left side on then the back of the car. -so at least 6 shots of the outside.make sure its the whole car for these main pictures.
Inside -open up the doors and take a picture of the inside again fill the frame with the interior. Usually I go drivers door hole then both right side door holes then lay the front seats back to show the interior sort of from the drivers pov then open the boot and repeat to the left side. close up shot of the speedo . Take one of the engine. thats another 6 shots.
Use the rest to take semi close up shots showing any damage or anything special about your car.
Once you havethe picturesHave a goodat them
Some shots might show dirt streaks that need another wash off etc or be really badly shadowed
Its worth the time to rewash the car and redo the pictures.
ONE shot will be the "money" shot -it may be Left front or right front or even front on. But one will stand out as looking fantastic.-thats your main picture.

dazza135, Jul 11, 7:58am
That $39 is just the starting price. I seem to get sucked into doing all the big galleries, bold titles, and feature extras. I'll be honest and say that I see a noticeable difference, when you don't have the extras to when you do. Again, good photos, clean car, and a honest description are the best starting points.

murray55, Jul 12, 8:18am
Above all if you are serious about selling within a reasonable period of time be realistic on what it is worth .do not fall into the trap of asking a ridiculously high price in the hope someone will pay a lot less and think they are getting a bargain. It will not sell, as simple as that .there are cars listed for not just months but years with laughable price tags. When it finally dawns on the seller no one will pay anything near what they want, on goes the $1 reserve auction.