Escudo engine "squeal"

dgriffnz, Jul 11, 9:48am
Just got a good condition 1.6 1997 Escudo (114,000Km). I've noticed when it's cold it squeals a bit from the engine. If I stop accelerating and then accelerate again it's gone. It's just had a service at Holland's so I'm curious as to why it's squealing.wouldn't this be something they'd pick up! The car wasn't expensive so I'm happy to spend a few bucks on it where required. Any thoughts on the cause! I'm thinking of putting some extractors on it after reading around these forums.

unbeatabull, Jul 11, 9:52am
Quite likely to be Drivebelt either loose or getting worn. Might not of been picked up due to it being warm and didn't squeal when they serviced it, and assumed it was ok.

dgriffnz, Jul 11, 9:57am
Thanks for the reply.
By drivebelt do you mean the cambelt! I was intending on getting that replaced anyway as I'm pretty sure it hasn't been done yet.

franc123, Jul 11, 10:42am
No it would be the alternator belt, the problem generally only occurs after a cold start when the alt starts furiously charging the battery, and is made far worse if lights, wipers, rear window demister etc, or all of them are being used. Tightening or replacing the belt if needed will sort it. If you suspect the cambelt needs doing, get it checked and replaced if needed and sort the other belts at the same time, they all have to come off when doing cambelts.

dgriffnz, Jul 11, 10:59am
Thanks franc123, that makes total sense. Are there any recommendations for somewhere in Chch to get all that done ( and extractors added)! Hollands spring to mind, but open to other places if others can vouch for them.

dgriffnz, Jul 11, 11:07am
Just checked with the previous owners. They say the won't ever use Hollands again as they booked it in for it's 100,000km service assuming the belts would be done, but they didn't and indicated it would be ok at the next service. They felt let down by them. Eager for alternatives now folks.

alltorque350, Jul 11, 7:19pm
Never assume, if you want something done say so

mm12345, Jul 11, 9:02pm
A bit harsh on Hollands there IMO.It's an import and presumably without FSH, so replacing parts per schedule not knowing if they'd already been done might be an unnecessarily expensive cost.The service schedule possibly said check and adjust if necessary anyway, and as other posters say, it might not have been squeaking when they checked. These things add up, and any used car could be a hole to throw money in to if you take the attitude that everything showing any sign of wear must be replaced, then every service will cost you thousands.
At +100k, all sorts of other things are likely to need attention over the time you own the vehicle, Hollands are going to replace with OEM parts by default (= expensive) when aftermarket parts are probably readily available, much less expensive, and perfectly fine, and that's why I'd be looking for a local mechanic.They are simple cars, so any mechanic you trust should be fine.

kazbanz, Jul 11, 9:06pm
Before charging in there I'd be making sure the cambelt HASN'T been done.
Is there a sticker saying its been replaced! do you or the last owner have the service records!Coulsd you talk to the mechanic and see if they have a record of what was done at the 100k service!
No intent to be nasty just -Relace cambelt tensioner etc and alt belt $700 ish
Replace just alt belt $60-$100so a HUGE difference well worth finding out before charging in.
Incidently I must say I wouldn't automatically replace the alt belt if replacing a cambelt.I very much doubt its normal practice

olsod2, Jul 12, 12:17am
had my cam belt ,water pump ,alternator belt replaced here in westport on my 1600 escudo cost me $300 very easy to do

dgriffnz, Jul 12, 2:03am
I'm not from Chch, that's why I'm asking. I have no exp with local mechanics.