Converting Holden 202 6 cylinder to v8

millerz08, Jul 8, 12:37am
Just looking for some advice on converting a kingswood 202 6 cylinder to a v8, 253 or 308.

Can these engines been purchased new as crate engines in NZ (Christchurch)! what would be the sort of price I would be looking at for one!

Im a bit cautious about buying a sencond hand old engine. Worried about going to all the trouble putting it in and getting certified, to end up with a lemon.
What would I look out for buying second hand!

Also I want it converted from manual to auto, is that a big job or pretty straight forward!

magicmat, Jul 8, 12:42am
Would consider an LS1 crate engine or similar instead of the old holden engines. Much more powerful and reliable plus I am pretty sure they stopped making 253/308 engines in the 80's so you would never find a new one now. Seems you can get LS1's for as little as $3500au if you are lucky.

millerz08, Jul 8, 12:46am
Can the LS1 crate engines be purchased easily here!

Any idea of what company sells the crate engines!
Then I can get an idea of the cost and what would be involved.

I assume there would be some warrenty with the engines as well.

NZTools, Jul 8, 12:47am
If yuo are considering new, look at an LS1. Pulling the old column change auto linkages out, and converting to floor change manual is no major drama.

jason18, Jul 8, 12:54am
x2
Sta parts in Auckland has a bring range of engine

millerz08, Jul 8, 12:58am
It has already been converted to floor change manual at some stage, but im wanting to change it back to auto.
Would that still be easy enough!

Sounds like th LS1 crate engine may be the go, was expecting it to be a bit more expensive.

extrayda, Jul 8, 12:58am
Is this an HQ you are doing!
Depends on what you want to do with it, how much you want to spend, and what you are confident to do yourself.
If it's an HQ (similar for all H series I expect), then a basic list is:

- Engine (could go crate SBC 350, or rebuilt 350/383), or start with second hand (or go the rebuilt 308 route, pref TH350 bolt pattern rather than Traumatic).
- Trans TH350 probably the easiest if going SBC route (smaller than TH400 and take less power to run).
- Driveshaft to suit.
- Holden V8 Diff, or Ford 9" (not required if you aren't going big HP).
- Engine mounts.
- Trans crossmember & mount (not 100% sure on that - possible the existing crossmember could be modded!).
- Headers / exhaust to suit.
- V8 Suspension parts.
- V8 Radiator.

It's not a hard job to fit the motor/box/diff yourself, just takes a bit of know how.Very simple wiring etc on the old style motors. I just hire an engine lifter from hirepool when I do motor swaps/fits.

I don't know anything about LS1 other than they can produce good power.I assume you would have to get the computer etc all hooked up, which may not be an easy job for a homer! (I don't know as I have never done modern motors).

extrayda, Jul 8, 1:00am
Coverting to floor change manual isn't hard either - depends if you want factory look, or are happy with a B&M style cable shifter setup.

millerz08, Jul 8, 1:09am
Yeah it is a HQ Kingswood.
Sounds like a bit of work, but something worth looking into.

I will contact STA parts in Auckland on Monday, to see what they suggest and approximate costs.

extrayda, Jul 8, 1:22am
- I didn't mention brakes - I don't know if the V8 and 6 setup was the same or not.
Most of the work would be required whatever engine setup you chose to go with.Obviously you would also need to get a cert (I went through that process, and everything was fine apart from a brake pipe too close to the headers, part of the exhaust fell off during the inspection, and the passenger door refused to open (I had to climb in the window).

I am just highlighting that there is more to it than just the engine.
If you pay someone else to do the work, the cost will mount up quite fast.
If you do it yourself, it will take longer, but be cheaper, and you will know the car.
V8 HQ's are a fun car, nothing beats the V8 rumble for me.

attitudedesignz, Jul 8, 1:30am
Yep they are the same.

magicmat, Jul 8, 1:33am
I had a friend in Canada who scored an LS1 for less than 2grand as Pontiac had them already to go when they were making the GTO's (Monaro as we know it) but then they moved to the LS2 so they had a large pile of these engines lying around doing nothing. Pretty good deal considering it had never been in a car. I googled LS1 crate engines and it appears there are a lot of options. I am far from an expert though, extrayda clearly is your man here!

trader_84, Jul 8, 1:42am
I bought an unrego'd SS VT 5.7 from off here. Paid 6k for it running/going etc. First late model car I've ever owned even though some on here would call it old. It goes like a cut cat and is streets ahead of the older Holden and Valiant V8's I've owned in the past but . would struggle to stay up with a big Chrysler on sticky tires in straight line.racing. It sits out the back of the shed and gets run every month or so for sh1ts, giggles and just to make sure she still runs ok. I bought it to strip the Ls1 and trans out of it to slide into an old GMC Pickup I own. i will use the 4 pots and some other stuff from it . but end up selling the rest off in order to recoupe some of the cost. There are plenty of Ls1's for sale but most of them are out of the car they came from leaving you . the buyer, having to take the word of the seller that the engine runs ok. An engine and trans can be had for anything from 3 - 4k upwards - the average $ being in the 5k region. I'm the type of person that 'trusts but verifies' things so looked and waited until something popped up that was running, complete and was IMHO, value for money. The bonus of getting a complete running vehicle is that you get all of the little ancillaries that are needed to run the motor as part of the deal. These can add up quickly and is a place where people can tuck you. Just my take on things . good luck.

gmphil, Jul 8, 3:03am
Get your self a petrolhead magazine free at ya local parts places these have all sorts of add relating to parts available new and second hand

mram, Jul 8, 5:33am
If it were me and you just wanted a cruiser with a nice v8 sound without spending the earth going the LSx Route, I would get a second hand rebuildable 308 and trimatic and get them rebuilt somewhere reputable, the old 253/308's are well understood by most engine rebuilders and the trimatic's traumatic woes have simple known fixes now. If you have a bit more cash, then I would source a VN-VT 5.0 304 CI with the turbo 700 transmission so you can have the overdrive and fuel injection to keep running costs down. I would assume the kingswood 202 would have the banjo diff, which won't handle much more than a stock 253, unless you drive like a old nana

mram, Jul 8, 5:37am
as an aside there are some good 308's still around, I have a 1972 built engine that is still a virgin block, i.e never been bored out, runs 140-150 psi in all cylinders and is as quiet as a mouse.

hopie, Jul 8, 10:32pm
Get an LSX 454 and stop mucking around haha

lordv81, Jul 8, 11:29pm
OP.
You have the easiest car to do a v8 conversion on but will cost alot as you dont seem to know much about what you want or how to get it.
You may find it cheaper to sell what you have and buy one already done.If you have to ring a parts place for a quote and options then you are doomed from the start.As all any parts place will do is rape you wallet.
Another option for you might be to buy a wrecked HQ-WB that has the v8 already in it ,that way you can see how everything goes together and bolts up.Complete donor cars with v8 packages can be picked up for as little as a grand if you search around,that leaves money for a recondition of motor and box if needed.Plus you will be able to hear the engine going and may be able to test drive it before you buy.If you have to buy engine mounts,throttle brackets/cables,sumps,drivesha-
fts,cross members,suspension,diff,exhaus-
t system,auto shifter,radiator,trans cooler{opt},wiring, you will end up paying shitloads.Add to that shop cost and or mechanics if your knowledge is low on this kind of stuff.
With a donor v8 car or ute a conversion can be done in less than half a day if you are familiar with these cars.

trader_84, Jul 9, 3:04am
Yep, they will see you coming and tuck you and like i stated above - its the little parts that failed to come with the engine that will blow the budget.

trader_84, Jul 9, 3:20am
If you elect to go late model then I'd look for a complete car to part out. HQ's never came out with fuel pumps capable of fueling injection . now theres one opportunity someone unscrupulous could exploit to their advantage. You'd hear a whole range of . 'those pumps usually burn out; there's not many of them around so they tend to be pricy; no - you must have a in-tank pump; no - aftermarket ones are just gimmicks; the standard fuel line in an HQ is too skinny/not strong enough/the wrong size for the pump fittings (lol!); it will have to go to an auto electrician to get wired up . you don't want to be taking chances with doing your own wiring of a fuel pump; you'll need a fuel cell', haha! And the list goes on. I'm sure it wouldn't be as bad as this . but i bet it could be. Everyone knows of a story where someone spent sh1tloads to get something done that in hindsight - could have been done better and cheaper if they had known of something at the time. Anyway .

extrayda, Jul 9, 5:02am
haha trader_84 yep I agree completely, which is why I like the old school (and admittedly low tech) approach.Most things can be done by someone who has basic mechanical skills (and remarkably few tools !) and is prepared to spend the time.When I did my HQ (now gone) I found someone parting out an HZ with 350 / TH350 / 9" adapted driveshaft and other bits that were useful.Got quite a few bits at a reasonable price.Don't be put off doing it, just be aware of what is needed.As someone above said if you can score a parts car with these bits in place it would probably save you time and money.

xpfairmont, Jul 9, 5:19am
yes. why not sell car and get another that already has V8! Big job if you don't know what you're doing and the fact that you asked. just saying

quickstitch, Jul 9, 6:42am
and also add a driveshaft safety loop to the list, needed for cert on a repower.