1976 leyland 1100 mini brakes fail

Page 1 / 2
jme16, Jun 25, 8:38am
were getting spungy then just stopped working can't find any leaks and fluid is full! anyone with any ideas please

supernova2, Jun 25, 8:53am
Masgter cylinder seals worn out and bypassing or else a major leak but you say you cant find any.

jme16, Jun 25, 8:56am
yea can't find a leak anywhere , spent an hour bleeding them and still full of air with no brakes

smac, Jun 25, 9:07am
Take each drum off and check for fluid at the cylinders, a hell of a lot can leak into the drum before there's any external sign.

But as above if it's complete failure it's likely to be the master.

sr2, Jun 25, 9:18am
It the pedal is going to the floor with no loss of fluid Iit does sound very like time for a new/ rebuilt master cylinder. The wrap around tin reservoir was a cow of a design even from new!

snoopy221, Jun 25, 9:25am
Look UP above the brake pedal for leaks but yip master cyl.

jme16, Jun 25, 9:32am
thanks people you are awesome

sr2, Jun 25, 9:35am
Make sure you let us know how you get on.

supernova2, Jun 29, 12:04pm
You can fit the later model master cylinder but I don't think it was much of an improvement.I just had to get some master cyls for a 1954 Austin and BNT did new ones of the shelf for SFA.Made the job so easy too.

franc123, Jun 30, 1:40am
Get one direct from Mini Spares Centre in London, they are LOADS cheaper than any of the local suppliers can do. Being a single circuit one you can have the original lockheed tin can type, or as a cheaper alternative a plastic bodied one which is easier to check the fluid level in. It might be a good idea to get some wheel cylinders at the same time.

cowlover, Jun 30, 12:50pm
Just looked on te MiniSpares site.If those prices are LOADS cheaper then I'm glad I no longer own a Mini.

socram, Jun 30, 10:26pm
Get the current one resleeved/built.Cheaper still.

ema1, Jul 1, 5:49am
Mini problem of old .oh the number of BMC master cylinder replacements/rekit jobs I've done over my years in the motor trade, if I got a $20 "back hander" for each job I did I'd be rolling in it.
Save the hassle and labour costs like we often did .replace with new.

smac, Jul 1, 9:38am
In what way! Parts for minis are way cheaper than anything else I've ever owned.

cowlover, Jul 1, 10:40am
Like I said I just got some 54 Austin brake bits from BNT. 1x Clutch Master Cyl, 1x Brake master cyl, 4x front wheel cyls, 2x rear wheel cyls, reline 4 rear shoes, surface 2 drums, sleve & rekit clutch slave, 3x brake hoses.All up less than $700 including and took 2 days.Also water pump in 1 day $70.Try pricing that up (including freight) on the mini spares site and see what it comes to in NZ$.

smac, Jul 1, 9:48pm
Well, for the first list excluding the drum surfacing (obviously, local job) I make it under NZD$300. Add say a nice generous 50 pound for freight, and we're still under NZD$400. Unless you paid more than $300 for the drums, I must be missing the point.

Oh and water pump, about $25 plus freight, so maybe about the same as your $70.

With the first list I did cheat a little and price a set of four hoses, so you'd have a spare sorry. Plus it was a new clutch salve, not a rekit.

franc123, Jul 2, 6:00am
LMAO, the answer to that one is much less than you paid. Also why are you making comparisons between your car and a Mini!Given the Mini did not exist in 1954 we aren't comparing the same thing are we!

supernova2, Jul 2, 6:03am
I must be looking at a differnt UK site.All I was saying was that maybe you can get the bits you need for the mini locally at about the same price and perhaps easier especially if you are not exactly sure which part you need.

smac, Jul 2, 6:15am
Y'know multiple accounts does make it kinda tricky to follow you.

supernova2, Jul 2, 6:42am
Yeah - sorry about that 2 laptops - his and hers.

jme16, Jul 7, 7:58am
hey guys. got frustrated with the mini so took it to the garage and they came back and said all cylinders buggered all rusty and pitted ,told me $300 to fix which is not to bad . so i told a mate and he came and showed me how to do it and we got new ones (6 in total) for $140just got to bleed them tomorrow. fingers crossed it fixes the problem

cowlover, Jul 7, 8:02am
If you going to all that bother replace the master cylinder as well.For garage to say all rusted and pitted they must have pulled the cys apart.So did they put it all back together again for you to take it away or did you get a box of bits and a car with no brakes which you had to take home on a trailer!

jme16, Jul 7, 8:07am
he said the master was fine but wheel cylinders were stuffed

scuba, Jul 8, 7:09am
so you don't think clamping off the brake hoses and checking whether the pedal still sinks away is a good idea.

I wouldn't bother replacing a master cylinder unless it needs it.

jme16, Jul 8, 7:18am
mechanic was correct brakes are now mint he would be the best mechanic around and very honest ,