03 Ba Falcon Starting problem 6 cyl

jason18, Jul 2, 6:28am
Hey Guys, Randomly this morning our BA cranked over fired then died. Did it for about ten mins before it started going. Starts sweet as now. Any ideas what could be causing this. Has done it once before but that was only a few cranks and she started

mugenb20b, Jul 2, 6:52am
Fuel pump relay possibly. Try swapping it over with another relay inside the fuse box, under the bonnet.

jason18, Jul 2, 7:03am
Awesome mate will give that a whirl

gunhand, Jul 2, 7:06am
MY XR6 has done that a few times in 6 months. I found if it failed to keep running the first start just leave it a few minutes then it fires good as, but trying again and again it didnt. Its almost like it floods it self.

unbeatabull, Jul 2, 7:18am
It is because it is flooding itself (Most of the time anyway)

Most likely causes are a dirty throttle body, blocked/Dirty/Gummed up IACV. I doubt it would be low fuel pressure, that generally affect it during acceleration/load, not initial start up. However it is possible it isn't building up pressure to start with but is quite a long shot.

Other things that it can be (I assume theres no engine/fault codes), CAT on the way out, intake air leaks (most common intake manifold gasket), dirty earth contacts (mainly the one from battery to chassis and chassis to block). It could also be things like coils, Sensors etc but they would generally bring up a fault code and would be something that you would need access to IDS or Oscilliscope to test.

gunhand, Jul 2, 7:22am
Mines only done it 3 maybe 4 times in 6 months and its drivin every day. No fault codes etc and cant say its done in the last 4 months. Oh well least the, feels like its flooding bit was correct lol.

jason18, Jul 2, 9:27am
Yeah My AU does that too. I thought it was flooded but I wasnt home so had to go by what the wife told me. No fault codes altho she said the oil light beeped at her a couple of times. Might give the throttle body a clean

gunhand, Jul 2, 9:29am
I also think it happened when i accidently tapped the accelertor before starting!

jason18, Jul 2, 9:30am
Oh sweet as. Cheers man. Will give it a clean out and check for vacuum leaks

gunhand, Jul 2, 9:32am
Let us know what you find.

jason18, Jul 2, 9:33am
Yeah bud will do.

carclan, Jul 3, 12:15am
Throttle body most likely needs cleaning.

unbeatabull, Jul 3, 5:32am
That can cause it. Basically a WOT position when cranking tells the engine/ECU it is flooded so it tells the injectors not to inject. This is the same on practically every Fuel Injected car I know of.

jason18, Jul 7, 5:19am
I have run throttle body cleaner through her today. It was as black as the ace of spades in there. Huge amounts of soot and crap came out on my rag then sprayed more in to make sure it was clean. Black and white smoke came out for about 30 seconds and now its clear. Will see how she starts from now on!

gunhand, Jul 7, 5:22am
Excellent, keep us informed.

jason18, Jul 7, 5:43am
Will do bud. Just got to sort window now it goes down in stages when the window has condensation on it but when dry its fine. Might need to lube her up a bit

unbeatabull, Jul 7, 6:36am
Yup, get heaps of Silicone Spray and just soak the crap out of the rubbers/runners. Be sure to direct it all down in behind the door card into the actual door runners rather then the rubbers you see, as it is down in there that they grab rather then up the top.

bigfatmat1, Jul 7, 8:28pm
ecu will still inject at wot but according to crank signal rpm and airflow/pressure will ignore wot signal till running. This would be unrelated to the fault as would a earth fault between body and block. as this would definately affect cranking. I would check fuel pump relay these are common to fail and could cause those symptoms.

jason18, Jul 7, 8:29pm
Thanks. Followed your advice and even today on this frosty as hell morning it went straight down.! Stoked

jason18, Jul 7, 8:30pm
Im going to replace the Relay as a precaution also. Cheers BFM

unbeatabull, Jul 7, 9:41pm
No, it doesn't inject at all on WOT while cranking. If it did, it would still start.

I was replying to gunhand with that post btw, not Jason.

bigfatmat1, Jul 7, 9:46pm
put a scope on a injector and try it.

unbeatabull, Jul 7, 9:50pm
I have. It was part of the new model introductory course we did when it first came out :)

Easiest way to get the engine to crank over without starting, just hold the foot to the floor.

bigfatmat1, Jul 7, 10:30pm
must be a ford thing all my cars start 03 toyota 92 toyota 04 mitsi wot and most other cars I have ever checked have as well.