Petrol vs diesel?

jaybee38, Jul 6, 4:58am
Im looking at buying a ute or SUV and trying to decide between petrol and diesel engines.the diesel appeals because a lot of the vehicles I am looking at are higher mileage and I've been told that diesel engines with higher kms are generally better than petrol.is that right! I suppose it depends on the make of vehicle - Im looking mainly at Ford Ranger/Mazda BT for the ute. SUV could be anything.

bellky, Jul 6, 5:00am
Petrol doesn't stink.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 6, 5:01am
If you want to compare running costs you might find my website helpfull. www.dieselvspetrol.webs.com

I havn't updated the fuel prices for a while but really its not worth fretting over the last few dollars. If you want you can enter in your own fuel prices.

Running cost would be my greatest consideration but not everyone worries about this. You may find petrol versions are cheaper to buy in some vehicles too.

Best of luck.

BTW, personally I wouldn't buy one over the other because one supposedly might be better with higher km's. Diesel pumps can give very expensive trouble at higher km's so its really swings and roundabouts in that respect. Some who know those particular engines may be able to give you some properly specific advice which would be of more use though.

mugenb20b, Jul 6, 5:03am
If you are buying a BT / Ranger, I think they only come as diesels, but if you are going to be using the vehicle for commercial use, go diesel.

bellky, Jul 6, 5:06am
!

Diesel stinks imo.

mugenb20b, Jul 6, 5:07am
Nah. It smells nice.

matarautrader, Jul 6, 5:39am
We have just changed from a diesel 2.8 auto diesel Pajero to a petrol 3.0 auto Challenger. Taking into regard cost of rego and RUC it costs us an extra $6 per week for the petrol vehicle. Nicer to drive, more power, seems to tow better. We should have changed years ago.

mugenb20b, Jul 6, 6:34am
Also, the V6 doesn't need 5000 km oil changes, has a cheaper oil filter and holds less oil. The only other advantage of a 4M40 over a 6G72 is its chain drive engine and has more torque.

40wav, Jul 6, 8:18am
But.But.what about the Amorak!

thejazzpianoma, Jul 6, 8:20am
Easy there tiger!
Horses for courses and this Anorak's Amarok is out of the price range. don't worry though I will be in arms flailing and paragraphs flying at the next opportunity!

johnf_456, Jul 6, 8:21am
Lol not when you have public transport around here blasting it in your face.

40wav, Jul 6, 8:24am
Phew! Thought we'd lost you there for a bit.

toolmanpaul, Jul 6, 9:43am
My Nisan Safari is up to 630,000km. Still a great drive. Had it for around 5 years. Good on long trips.Due to back problems,I can't get into a low car,I need to be able to climb up.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 6, 9:45am
Hows the rust situation!

toolmanpaul, Jul 6, 8:48pm
Almost all Safari,s rust around the roof line.I keep a close watch on mine and clean as required. Tyres are expensive. 2 filters and about 12 ltrs oil to change. Mine dose not burn oil. A good Safari hold it,s value.

mugenb20b, Jul 6, 9:35pm
Are there any Euro SUVs that offer an in line 6 diesel powered SUVs!