Air compressor question.

cantab1971, Jul 5, 10:16pm
figured one of you guys might know this one.

I just bought a little 2HP air compressor - mainly for cleaning PC's and other electrical stuff.

The instructions contain a warning that the compressor needs to plugged directly into the wall outlet.not an extension lead.

I just wondered why this is a big deal!

attitudedesignz, Jul 5, 10:21pm
Longer lead means more voltage drop, if you have a long lead then the compressor may trip the breaker (in house or shed) everytime it trys to start.

In the old days i actually use to change one wall socket from 10 amp to 15 amp just for that reason.

In saying that tho' i may be completly wrong lol.

kazbanz, Jul 5, 10:43pm
cantab--save yaself a heapa trouble-buy yaself a 10l air bottle

gmphil, Jul 5, 10:48pm
Vacum neverblow electronics

carmedic, Jul 5, 11:32pm
According to my mate the sparky its something to do with voltage drop that can burn the motor out at start-up.

mrfxit, Jul 5, 11:51pm
= CHEAP shite motor

sifty, Jul 5, 11:53pm
yep, just ensuring you have sufficient voltage to get motor running, As these cycle on a pressure switch they start/stop frequently so need reliable supply (most current drawn on start-up). A long lead may drop voltage to less than an ideal value.

No big deal.

mrfxit, Jul 5, 11:54pm
For those "bigger" jobs, hunt up an old stainless Lpg tank & convert the fittings to air & use that inline as a storage/supply tank.
It's what I do for those bigger jobs where I need a longer burst of volume.

My old mini twin tank compressor has the pump feed in to 1 tank & the other slave tank is the outlet.
the slave tank never gets water/sludge in it but the main tank does.

trader_84, Jul 6, 12:01am
Get an air dryer . no more sludge or anything.

carclan, Jul 6, 12:30am
It is because the voltage drop in the extension cord would reduce voltage at the compressor electric motor thus the current draw would increase and may burn the motor out. It is all because the motor design is streched to the limit to reduce the amout of material used.

cantab1971, Jul 6, 12:54am
thanks guys. I'll follow the rules :)

supernova2, Jul 6, 1:54am
Same thing applies to water blasters too.Not so bad if you use a decent lead for the extension rather than a $2 shop version.

curlcrown, Jul 6, 2:06am
Unless you extension lead is 100 metres long I doubt it will make any practical difference.

stevo2, Jul 6, 4:30am
What he said.
I have tried my Ingersoll Rand 12 ft3 with a 30mt extn lead and it wont start. Motor turns but wont get up to speed. Runs fine with a 10mt or smaller lead but I always plug it straight into the hotpoint and run a longer hose.

morrisjvan, Jul 6, 8:00am
I've tried mine with a 20 m rcd lead and it just ''pops'' it , but it runs o.k with a 10m ''ordinary'' lead.

mrfxit, Jul 6, 8:11am
Mines fine with a 30 meter power lead

vic008, Jul 6, 8:46am
If your wiring overheats and your house burns down,better hope your insurance co doesn't know

johnf_456, Jul 6, 8:53am
That is why rcd, fuses and breakers exist.

mrfxit, Jul 6, 10:03am
Mines probably older then me.
Small twin cylinder with poppit valves & a separate 1/2hp cap start motor.

mrfxit, Jul 6, 10:05am
See thats where theres a huge difference in power load.
Pretty much most of the units above will be cheap direct drive units.
High torque supplied directly by the motor.
Mines geared via pulley & belt

donz01, Jul 6, 8:34pm
Motherboard + water = possible mother board failure and replacement etc. The last thing you want is moisture anywhere in a PC. I have been using aLittle Beaver for the last couple of years. Its basically a very small vacum cleaner type paint sprayer. There is no chance of water getting blown through the PC. It comes with a small fitting which is usually used for inflating air bedsetc. It works just as well as a decent compressor with very little noise and will clean out the dust in the most PCs in no time at all. It is small enough and light enough to take to any customers house etc. I think Bunnings sell them now days. My one is about 18 years old now and well used.

trader_84, Jul 6, 9:12pm
5.5hp motor, 3 phase, Twin cylinder 2-stage, 175psi capable, 23cfm displacement, all squeezed into a 200L tank and hardwired into the wall of the shed. Air runs through a big $$ alternating desiccant Airdryer then into the Plasma. This unit will blow the diodes from your PC clean through the other side of the casing ??