What is better - cvt or tiptronic?

treesure, Jul 4, 5:33am
i am looking at purchasing either a 1998 mazda capella or a 1998 nissan primera (yes they are old, its all i can afford) both are roughly the same price, done similar kms, and looked after - iyo - what would you buy!

cody_ross, Jul 4, 5:37am
the mazda, heard nothing but bad things about the cvt from mates a couple of mechanics and also when when looking at buying a nissan i rung a wrecker because a cheap nissan came up with a stuffed gearbox. although niether car is what you would call expensive the mazda would generally hold a little more of its value aswell

kazbanz, Jul 4, 6:16am
Op so are you saying that the capella is tiptronic!

treesure, Jul 4, 7:46am
no, capella is normal auto trans, but one of the nissans is a tiptronic and the other nissan is a cvt.

franc123, Jul 4, 7:51am
Capella probably out of those two, but as with anything I'd be getting an idea of how well it's been serviced, especially the transmission.It sure as hell won't be a tiptronic, it will be Mazda's 4 speed normal auto that they have used for years. If the Primera was manual I'd go for that.

treesure, Jul 4, 8:06am
thank you all for you great advice.much appreciated!.they are all autos, unfortunately the mazda is a trade-in so no idea of how its been serviced. i would get an aa inspection prior to buying.

treesure, Jul 4, 8:09am
the capella does state that it is tiptronic

kazbanz, Jul 4, 9:33am
ok whewee --I doubt the capella is a tippy,It will be a 4 stage auto
Now the primera tiptronic is a 6 stagecvt/ tiptronic. Im pretty darn sure you'll find both primera's have the same transmission.
I'm happy to be proven wrong because there are many variations on every jap car

cuda.340, Jul 4, 9:55am
buy the Mazda

jenny188, Jul 4, 10:02pm
my personal preference would be for the Nissan. Generally a bullet proof motor. Capella's just weren't that popular. Good , roomy car but.

familiadude, Jul 5, 7:27am
I had a capella for 6 months and in that time i replaced the leads, plugs, alternator and a few other bits nice roomy car but for some reason it gave me never ending problems

thejazzpianoma, Jul 5, 7:43am
Primera's can have either CVT or a regular auto. You possibly only see only the CVT if you like a certain spec/engine combination.

captjohnson, Jul 5, 9:14am
I would go the nissan primera better vehicle and dont go saying 1998 is old! Itll be intresting to see how many new vehicles being built atm will actually last 14 years! Nissans are simple and reliable had a mate that had a primera loved it and it served him really well!

edangus, Jul 5, 9:48am
I thought the primeras had. Normal Auto, CVT & Hyper CVT M6 (Thats the tiptronic one) The M6 Came with the NEOVVL Engine. It was a grouse CVT IMHO, until it pooed itself. But I would own one again

jason18, Jul 5, 10:05am
The hyper cvt m6 also came on the non vvl engines. I had one on a 2000 model primera. Nothing different really about the gearbox except a computer that told it ratios to hold and change in using the tiptronic. Cvt is good as long as its serviced well.