V8 Supercasrs. I see len is going to spend 21m of our money at pukekohe each year for the next 5 years what is wrong with hampto

Page 2 / 4
socram, Jul 3, 12:39am
As I understand it, a couple of the smaller permanent ones.I'll try and find out (when I can) from someone who has a good knowledge of the scene over there but I have heard it from two different well connected sources which does add weight to it - otherwise I'd just dismiss it as yet another rumour.

Street circuits are always subsidised by the local councils and although it makes great TV, throwing so much money at temporary facilities - especially when subsidised by ratepayers- always seems a bit of a waste to me.

kellrae, Jul 3, 1:14am
Thanks for clarifying that.

I wonder what the good folks and businesses of Pukekohe think about the V8Supercars coming back to their place!Wonder what the traffic management plans will be like especially with the commercial / industrial / shopping area developments near the track!

socram, Jul 3, 1:29am
I think that the general Pukekohe community would welcome it back again!However, as you say, not so sure about the shopping area as I gather they are the ones who have been complaining about the noise.Another Western Springs fiasco.Move next to an established race track and then moan about the noise.

hopie, Jul 3, 1:40am
Im from pukekohe, and would love for it to come back. As alot of people I know.

mopsy3, Jul 3, 2:04am
Street racing is boring which is why they are pulling out. They are losing too much money and locals are sick of funding them. Hamilton is already gone for obvious reasons, Sydney is on its last run this year according to insiders and the GC circuit is quite possibly on its lastyear - yet to be confirmed but have heard it from insiders and it was also in the herald several weeks ago. Have been to all and they are all boring, boring, boring. Far more value for money in going to a track that you can actually see cars racing instead of seeing blurs whizz past you before going around a bend. Sydney is the worst of the lot, if you cant see a screen you might as well go home.
As far as I know, with what socram has said about the smaller tracks, they may say they are sick of supercars but in reality they also, like Puke are tired and rundown and do not have the funds being demanded of them to upgrade.

socram, Jul 3, 2:05am
From Tony Roberts - Hampton Downs

"You may have heard Mayor Len Brown??

xpfairmont, Jul 3, 2:09am
That's funny, because I don't find Bathurst boring.

socram, Jul 3, 2:11am
That is Tony Cochranes public stance, but I think many of us suspect that where the real money goes and who pays the bills is the real issue.HD are happy enough to rent out HD as a clean venue (devoid of all existing advertising, restrictions on apartment owners etc) but if the hirer needs additional stands, security etc, then the hirer pays.

If you can con the local council to cough up 'your' additional costs.

modie61, Jul 3, 2:15am
Wellington will never get it again with the current mayor,shes all for electric cars and push bikes.
We have trolley buses here that cost 3 times what the diesels do to run,although no body is privvie to that info.

socram, Jul 3, 2:17am
Bathurst is road circuit, not a street circuit.A minor point maybe, but it makes a huge difference from a spectator perspective.If televised well, (in other words, not 90% of the coverage of the leading car/s), TV viewing of street circuits is the best way to watch.

twink19, Jul 3, 2:22am
you couldnt call Bathurst a street, even though it is a public road, when the contracts run out most if not all street cucuits will pull out as they are all loosing money, all exept big Tony

xpfairmont, Jul 3, 2:22am
all sports are better on TV. When you go watch live you only see what right in front of you. That goes for street circuits, tracks rugby games and so on.

mopsy3, Jul 3, 2:36am
How many buildings and street corners etc on the Bathurst track! None last time I was there but maybe it changed and got all built up like GC, Hamilton and Sydney! Anyone who has been there knows it is not a typical street track.

mopsy3, Jul 3, 2:39am
Old Lenny said on the radio that supercars would be footing all of the bills except the 2+mill every year unlike Hamilton who got ripped off and had to foot all the bills. Pretty sure he also said it would cost 6mill to upgrade the track and then the 2+m/year would be maintenance each year after that. that was speaking on ZB this morning with Susan Wood. May have misheard him he does waffle on.

kokako14, Jul 3, 2:39am
Without reading all the posts, I understand Hampton Downs resource consent is for a maximum 20000 spectators a day, so 3 days would be 60000 maximum crowd.not a good option to be able to pay its way, I would suggest they needs a total crowd of at least twice that. That was half the problem at Hamilton, crowds dropped to around 100000 over the meet and it didnt pay its way

socram, Jul 3, 2:51am
You obviously didn't read #31 did you!

newtec1, Jul 3, 3:59am
Of course it's not Auckland,it is in Franklin.About 50klm from the CBD.The Headquarters of Counties Rugby is not in Auckland, it is in Growers Stadium at.Pukekohe.

elect70, Jul 3, 4:03am
Its all about $$withUncle LenChochrane is garanteed abigreturncompliments of Auck ratepayers . HDprivately owned &cant get same$$.Wait for Jaffa ratepayersto startscreaming& the horsey lot & the anti noiselot.Big headache .

socram, Jul 3, 4:33am
Pukekohe is now part of the Auckland Super City (sic) so comes under "Trainset" Lenny's jurisdiction.He personally doesn't really care a toss about Motorsport though, so don't think this is a true vote for motorsport.Until the 'Super City'was expanded, I think the the only motorsport venue under the City's umbrella was Western Springs and Waikaraka Park.North Harbour has/had absolutely nothing, not even a kart circuit.Out west, Rosebank Road for karts and bikes - the Whenuapai Wings and Wheels was an initiative from former base commander Jim Barclay and TACCOC, not Bob Harvey.

Lenny's old domain (Manukau City) was presented with ambitious plans for a motorsport venue in the area around Rainbow's End, but that fell over for a variety of reasons, years ago and before his reign.
Last year, Auckland City Council wanted to charge HRC $5,000 to run the annual Domain HillClimb after several years of charging nothing, so it has disppeared from our calendar.
At least Waikato Council were 100% behind Hampton Downs from day 1.

newtec1, Jul 3, 4:54am
I didn't realise Puke was under the S/City.For all intent and purposes,that's all they can lay claim to.Untill the S/City i don't think Lenny even knew where Puke was,but suddenly he thinks there might be a dollar in it for him.Even though i have a soft spot for Puke,i think HD with the proper development would be the way to go,and leave Lenny and his Cronies to run the City, and not pretend to be promoters.Chochrane must have a very good PR machine well oiled in the extraction of council funds.

kcc55a, Jul 3, 5:07am
I'm curious about this claim. Who was the F1 track designerwho "honed" the track design. Bet he never came to see the finished result.Its always been too narrow and too bumpy and didnt havegood crash barriers for 15 years.

dinosaw88, Jul 3, 5:11am
I think they should bring it to Christchurch. They have to rebuild the roads anyway, (and most of the buildings) so why not incorporate a race track into the plans! Rebuild the city around the track.
Well it would suit me anyway.

geedubu, Jul 3, 5:22am
Socram, stand for Council.I think the local and national government's disregard for/antipathy to Hampton Downs is extraordinary.Drivers from around the world celebrate the circuit, local politicians either ignore it or put obstacles intheir path.I think Tony needs to engage a good lobbyist, or at least devise a more effective way of dealing with regulators & movers & shakers.He has logic on his side but the course seems to have no powerful supporters.It is a gem, it must find support.

newtec1, Jul 3, 5:23am
I think he was refering to HD.

geedubu, Jul 3, 5:52am
One problem for HD is that Pukekohe is part of the horseracing community (and clearly that is Pukekohe's main interest)They are remarkably well-embedded in NZ politics to the point that we have a Minister for horses running in a circle, and mutts who bet their benefit money on them.Winston Peters won significant and other tax advantages for them when he was Minister of this odd portfolio.Who are the influentail friends of the true private enterprise entrepreneurs who built Hampton Downs!NZ is not corrupt at all, but who ya know counts.Get to know!