Plastic window polish?

siren676, Jun 30, 7:55am
Ive recently bought a NA mx5 which has a soft top with plastic rear window. The plastic has gone rather cloudy and makes it nearly impossible to see out of.

Is there any sort of polish to sort out this problem!

bitsy_boffin, Jun 30, 8:16am
I used to use Meguiars on my MX5, they have a couple of products for plastic windows, a cleaner and a polish from memory, cleaner first, polish second, add your own elbow grease.

http://www.smitsgroup.co.nz/c143b25s/Meguiars/Clear-Plastic-Care

singing1, Jun 30, 8:19am
I find RepcoAutocream to be the best

ducatiss, Jun 30, 8:21am
Yes, there are a couple of polishes for cleaning plastic headlight lenses and face shields etc that you can get from the likes of repco/supercheap. Depending on how far gone the plastic is, they will make some difference in the short term but you may need to replace the window which can be a bit of a job though there will be firms around that can do it.

siren676, Jun 30, 8:30am
I have a part bottle of the meguiars plastx lying round. Will try a small area in one of the corners with that incase it doesnt work.

I assume the window replacement is a roof out job! Current window section doesnt look like it can be removed on its own.
Would prefer not to have to remove the whole roof again as the one it originally had was ripped and i replaced it with one which came spare with the car.

andy61, Jun 30, 10:21am
The window can be replaced on its own,I,ve done hundreds of them,sew new plastic in and cut the old window out and refit to hood.You dont even need to remove the main part of the hood,just unzipthe window section.

siren676, Jun 30, 11:19am
Doesnt sound too hard. Would it be better to get the plastic window replaced with some glass to ensure it wont happen again!

I'll have a better look in the morning but i think the bottom part of the window section is attached to the main part of the roof.

bitsy_boffin, Jun 30, 11:48am
You should keep an eye out for a complete hood with glass, off a wreck.Doesn't matter if it's NA or NB as long as it is complete on it's frame as either of those frames will fit the NA car.

I did exactly that 5 or 6 years back, found a cheap NB hood on Trademe with a glass window and bolted it on my NA.It's a pretty straight forward job to swap an entire roof with frame, just unbolt the old one, bolt on the new one, think it took me a couple hours on my own from memory, would have been easier with a helper.

siren676, Jun 30, 11:57am
Yeah i had to do that when i got the car because of a hole in the hood. Luckily the car came with a complete hood on a frame as a spare so just swapped them. Took about 3 hrs as it was my first time working on the car.

Theres a glass window section on mx5mart which im thinking about getting but im not sure if the zip would be the same

ema1, Jul 1, 6:03am
Slight shift in subject, what product is best to clean imperfections/cloudyness off dash instrument panels clear plastic type fascias!

slarty45, Jul 1, 6:34am
cardboard soaked in brasso works good on perspex

tazcsv, Jul 1, 11:15pm
There is a product called plexus spray, works great.

richardmayes, Jul 2, 1:19am
The humble old Simoniz speedwax (meant for paintwork) is quite good for polishing up scuffs / scratches in clear plastic things.

robbo36, Jul 2, 1:24am
The best product I have used on clear motorcycle helmet visors and screens is Neopol Furniture Cream from the supermarket.

next-to-normal, Jul 2, 11:46am
toothpaste

xpfairmont, Jul 2, 11:00pm
Who care what's behind you :-).
In the air force they use a very fine sand paper to polish the canopies. I have some of it but I don't know where to get more from.