Pil leak 2001 Nissan Primera

sheltie08, Jun 30, 10:31am
Just seem to have a oil (or similar) leak at the front left of the car -pretty much near the wheel. Thisis too far to the side from other oil leaks i have seen on cars - any ideas!

morrisman1, Jun 30, 10:33am
yup, get under there with a torch and see if you can identify the source of the oil.

bigfatmat1, Jun 30, 10:36am
shock!

sheltie08, Jun 30, 10:36am
couldnt see where

morrisman1, Jun 30, 10:37am
OK. what colour is the oil!

sheltie08, Jun 30, 10:41am
browny black. Could it be from CV boot!

morrisman1, Jun 30, 10:45am
CV boot should be full of thick grease. Browny black would suggest engine oil. Perhaps an oil leak is getting onto the driveshaft then dribbling down the driveshaft to the CV boot and falling from there.

sheltie08, Jun 30, 10:28pm
just had a look and its landing on the ground5-10 cm inside the front left wheel. Not major pooling of oil but a concern

saxman99, Jun 30, 11:44pm
It's not brake fluid is it!

oscar220, Jul 1, 2:28am
Had a similar occurance with a fairmont I had, eventually was toldit was an overflow of sorts from the fuel system to remove moisture from it!

kazbanz, Jul 1, 3:34am
lift the car up and wash underneath.The oil will be everywhere.
It could simply be a dribble from a rocker cover gasket or a crank end seal. Untill you do a cleanup you're unlikely to see the source.

sheltie08, Jul 1, 4:28am
I am just praying its not the crank seal as the one on my last car had to have the gearbox removed to get at it. But that drip was heavier and central. Also only drips for a while after use and doesnt seem to for a prolonged time.

its only a very very small patch it leaves. Have it booked in to be looked at, am just asking so I dont get a massive shock lol

mecanix, Jul 1, 4:42am
shouldnt be a crank seal its more to the centre, could be a side seal perhaps.

morrisman1, Jul 1, 5:33am
driveshaft seal on the side of the diff is my guess,

sheltie08, Jul 1, 6:50am
awesome thanks guys! would any of those be a major cost!