Cefiro diy fix it advice needed

flitt, Jun 30, 5:55am
Our 97 Cefiro has a rusty radiator support crossmember. Apparantly this is a common trait for these types of Nissan. I'm going to weld in the fix myself.

The engine/transmission support strut (not sure name right - i made that up), runs lengthwise down the vehicle and has two large bolts which bolt into the underside of aforementioned radiator support crossmember. I need to remove these two bolts and separate the two (rad support & engine strut) so that I can get in there to fix the rust around those bolts on the rad crossmember.

Question is. Without unbolting engine from the strut, will I be able to separate the rad support & strut and what is best way to achieve this! And how much distance might i get! And will separating them cause stress/damage to engine/transmission!

I suppose if this is confusing I could add a pic with arrows tomorrow. But I imagine there are some who know exactly what I am on about.

mugenb20b, Jun 30, 6:45am
What you can do is, find a piece of box section steel and park it above the engine, between the strut towers and tie the engine to it (there should be a factory lifting eye or hook somewhere), the less slack in the rope / chain the better.

And now, you should be able to remove the piece that's in your way. The 'strut' that you refer to is a crossmember.

flitt, Jun 30, 7:06am
Ah yes, that'll work. I was hoping not to have to undo engine mounts, but I suppose there is no avoiding it.

Thanks indeed.

grangies, Jun 30, 7:09am
What about a trolley jack under the engine once you undo the bolts on the lower rad support!

flitt, Jun 30, 8:02am
It's a point worth raising, yes. I feel confident with the weld itself, but it had occured to me that I might need a 'certified' weld. Though the AA never mentioned it at the time of discussing it & the WOF sheet just says don't paint it.

I guess I am a bit green due to the fact that I don't really work on modern cars and find the whole arrangement of them a bit daunting. I suppose I thought I might be able to drop the whole engine & tranny a small distance while still attached to the crossmember. (Obviously I'd have to undo some bolts to do this.)