All hail the Nissan Sunny !

Page 1 / 2
gman35, Jun 28, 11:45pm
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/7192965/Driver-flees-crash-wreck
Rather lucky to escape from what it seems !Noted it was worded "Police were not following the vehicle". Seems they feel they wanted to say this due to some negative press when a crash does happen while chasing !

thejazzpianoma, Jun 29, 12:03am
Wow, the literally is wrapped around a lamp post.

I had a chuckle at "It is not known what lead to the crash as police weren't following the vehicle. "

Its great how that can be interpereted two ways.

esprit, Jun 29, 12:19am
I drove past this about 4:30am this morning on my way home from work. I was sure it was a fatal, although I could only see 8 cop cars, no ambulance or fire, which struck me as stange. Now I know.

phillip.weston, Jun 29, 1:07am
And this is a Nissan Sunny (Ok Sentra but same thing really) which the occupants weren't so fortunate.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/news/7191031/Three-die-in-car-crash

peja, Jun 29, 2:02am
If this is the crash I recall reading about elsewhere none of the four occupants were belted in. Makes ALL the difference, I speak from experience from crashing a Datsun 1200 wagon in my youth. me and passenger both belted in properly, came out unscathed but afterwards picked up two kleensaks full of bog that had come out of the car.it had been used to cart fertiliser up and down a beach prior to my buying it

flack88, Jun 29, 6:00am
Wouldnt think a sunny the sort of car you would to hit anythink in !!

austingtir, Jun 29, 6:15am
^^ It probably wont matter what your driving if you manage to wrap a vehicle around a solid object like that from that angle.No vehicle is designed to keep you alive in a crash like that.

zephyrheaven, Jun 29, 6:17am
New to the internet! Never seen this then http://cellar.org/showthread.php!t=16259

austingtir, Jun 29, 6:34am
^^ im not sure what your talking about!If anything that proves exactly what i said above like the driver of the sunny in the first article they walked away.Was this because of the superior safety standards of the audi. probably, or were they just lucky that the car didnt really pancake where the occupants actually were.Id put a bob either way.If the impact is in the wrong place on any car doesnt matter what it is your dead mate.

zephyrheaven, Jun 29, 6:41am
Define wrong place though - the driver in any modern car has the most protection - maybe not a Cherry or a Great Wall.

austingtir, Jun 29, 6:44am
I dont get what your on about.explain yourself are you trying to say if you crash an audi at 200kph into anything you wont die!obviously thats ballony and i hope you try it!Prove me wrong!

un_known, Jun 29, 6:46am
holy excrement.funny the left rear wheel looks like its in the right place except its facing into the car.

zephyrheaven, Jun 29, 6:52am
Go crash a 1925 Stutz Bearcat into a powerpole straight into the drivers door at its max speed (about 90mph on a downhill with a tail wind) then crash a brand new Audi SUV into the same tree & report back.

You seem to think nothing is survivable at a certain speed / angle - I think that is crap & have an internet full of proof

zephyrheaven, Jun 29, 6:55am

austingtir, Jun 29, 7:00am
Not at all these cars are proof that some people get damn lucky.Im beginning to think your a bit skitzo or something TBH.

zephyrheaven, Jun 29, 7:01am
Yeah probably

thejazzpianoma, Jun 29, 7:03am
I beg to differ, quality modern vehicles have a raft of devices to stop you getting wraped round a pole like that in the first place. Then if you still manage to do it the rigid passenger safety cell, intrusion beams, side airbags, pre-tensioners and active headrests will all do their best to make sure you survive.

The Nissan Sunny. it had almost NONE of that technology. yet people still pay safe modern car money for them. Worst of all they con the unsuspecting into buying them by scaring people away from the safe cars with reliability wives tale nonsense.

zephyrheaven, Jun 29, 7:19am
Oh yes, its part of being a mechanic / business owner - Jekyll & Hyde was actually based on our trade

gunhand, Jun 29, 7:27am
Im going to have a go at why I think that guy in the Audi survived. But first if he had crashed head on into another bigger tree he most surely would have found out If God exsists.
So this chappy is moving at considerable speed (apparently) and for whatever reason has become airborne and hit the tree slicing the car in two. The tree has acted like a knife and cut the car, the tree also slowed the car considerably before it impacted on the ground. The tree acting as a cushin at that time stopped the sudden decelleration of the guys body therefore stopping huge internal injuries such as shearing the Ascending aorta, splitting the liver, brain injury, many contra coo injuries, fractured femurs, ruptured spleen and so on.
By the time the car hit the ground it would be traveling quite slow and he would have avoided injury from that.
We dont see the tree but the others in shotare quite skinny looking so thats why it acted like a knife. If it was a huge tree I thing it would be different again.
Thats my take on it anyway.
Luck, hell yea. Strenght of car, hmmmm you wouldnt really want a solid solid car in that accident.

zephyrheaven, Jun 29, 7:30am

thejazzpianoma, Jun 29, 7:32am
Plenty!
My $1200 Marea has Dual airbags, intrustion beams, pre-tensioners, abs

While it dosn't have everything and the structural integrity could be better thats a fairly good effort and miles ahead of the Sunny.

I have seen plenty of good circa $1700 Volvo's like the S40 which is a significant step up again on the Marea. They even have inbuilt child seats!Interestingly, the S40 is also about the most reliable proper car (as in not just a stripped out shopping basket) of its era. Good on gas and plenty of nice examples around still too. Its an often overlooked treasure in the value department.

Thats two examples, plenty of others spring to mind but I won't bore you with the list.

treachug, Jun 29, 7:38am
hahaha - classic - now we are diagnosing medical cases over the interweb.
Oh well zeph, business will skyrocket - being skitzo means you will get the work done twice as fast now with both of you fixing 'em

zephyrheaven, Jun 29, 7:42am
Both!
Theres about 4 in here mate - the other 5 are suppressed lol

grangies, Jun 29, 7:43am
Good point and I agree with what you say regarding those cars you mentioned.

I never realised they were so cheap.

But still. I wouldn't recommend wrapping one around power pole to prove it. LOL.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 29, 9:07am
Yes. good point, I like the idea that my chances are vastly improved but I am in no hurry to volunteer myself for a demonstration!

In fairness to the pricing, those were exceptionally good buy's. Although the Nissan in the example did have more than twice the km's my Marea has done so I guess it evens out in the end.

Just a word to anyone reading this and rushing off to buy a Volvo, do your research first. Some are a lot better than others depending on what you are wanting.