Any Mini experts out there

trev5, Jun 25, 2:35am
Im thinking of buying an old mini, just as a fun car to tinker around with on the weekends.What issues should I be looking at when buying one, rust areas etc. Also there seems to be a lot that have been re-powered with bigger motors I.e. 1275 cc conversions. Do these require certification

kcf, Jun 25, 3:05am
rust around the roof seams and all through the boot floors and seams is really really common.

Yup, if they were repowered they'll need a cert*

*other than cars converted pre 93 or so with a "declaration" which is what existed before a cert.

brokebloke1, Jun 25, 3:06am
google restoring minis or go on to a uk mini forum alot of good questions and tips you can learn from

attitudedesignz, Jun 25, 3:11am
I'm a member of 'the mini forum', it's a UK based forum & one of the better ones i've found. Any questions you have can be answered by browsing there.

smac, Jun 25, 3:22am
I actually find the UK guys a little.off. Hard to put my finger on.but they have really different rules, just a different way of going about things. Personally I recommend ausmini.com

As for buying a car, it really depends on budget. If you were looking at buying a $2k car you'd be looking for different things than if you were looking at a $6k or $10k car.(if you have $10k I know a beauty for sale)

A lot of 850's and 1000's have had 1275's thrown in. Technically they need to be certified, but a lot get a WOF that way no trouble.

It also depends a lot on your own skill and mechanical know-how. Are you a learner! Or know one end from a spanner from another!

Welcome to the disease.

trev5, Jun 25, 3:30am
Thanks for the replies so far. I do know one end of a spanner from the other so am able to do some mechanical work, but not so good on rust issues etc.
I'm still undecided on how much to spend at this stage. Is it better to buy cheap and do ( or pay to have done) any work needed, or spend a bit more for something that has been better maintained over the years.

smac, Jun 25, 3:34am
In general somebody who has paid to have work done will not get their money back when they sell - so unless you're able to do the work yourself you'd better better buying a car where the panel work is done.

The flip side of that is there are a LOT of cars out there being sold as 'solid', with fresh paint jobs, but they've just done a quick sand, bog and paint. SO perhaps the devil you know.

ceebee2, Jun 25, 4:54am
Phone Steve at Strong Bros Northshore.he's been a Mini Tech for 35 years and still working on them. There is nothing he doesn't know about them.

socram, Jun 25, 5:12am
Agree with above.if rust is te one thing you can't really deal with, (nor can I), then learn where all the rust traps are before you buy.I'd also look carefully under the rear seat and the rear sub-frame mountings, plus the splash panel at the rear of the front wings.

Stripping a Mini is easy and there are parts galore to build them up any way you want.The 1275cc motor is strong and plentiful and also tuneable.Second best might be the 998cc lump.

A well tuned 1300cc lump in a Mini is one of the most fun vehicles ever.

elect70, Jun 25, 5:35am
Iether buy a basket case or 1 only needingtidy up .Anything in betweenthey will want sillymoney & it will still need as much workonce youdelve into it. . Rust in all seamswheel archesfloorguttersboot.Be prepared to do alot ofcut & patch . .Mechanicals are the least worry .