Mud/snow tyres

Page 1 / 2
lusty9, Jun 23, 1:06pm
are they any good on highways or just off roading!

usdefault, Jun 23, 1:21pm
What do you think!

The clue is in the name.

lusty9, Jun 23, 1:41pm
what name!: Tyres.

icemans1, Jun 23, 4:21pm
maybe just MAYBE, mud/snow tyres are designed for mud/snow conditions. if ya wait a while a rocket scientist might give you an answer

mugenb20b, Jun 23, 6:04pm
They can be used on highways, but won't last and perform as well as road tyres.

stevo2, Jun 23, 6:07pm
+1. What he said plus the rules for a WoF are tougher

alltorque350, Jun 23, 7:37pm
Wait on. There is a difference between snow tyres and mud and snow tyres. You will find most road tyres will have"M+S"on them but are not a snow tyre.

therafter1, Jun 23, 8:15pm
Never had a problem with them on the highway, as long as you drive within your own and the vehicles limitations you shouldn't have a problem. Be aware that if you have to replace a tyre that you have to replace it with a snow tyre, or replace all four in order for your vehicle to meet current WOF requirements and your legal tread depth minimum is 4mm.

stevo2, Jun 23, 9:08pm
This is correct. Mud and Snow is fine for road use and is not the same as a snow tyre. Winter tyres are usually marked with a ???snowflake and mountain??

therafter1, Jun 23, 9:09pm
Have you done The Annie yet lol

PSI think I see your Toyota Van go past work now and again . does it have 'distributors' on the door along with another familiar word !

stevo2, Jun 23, 10:32pm
Hey thereafter, Great memory. No I havent done it yet as Ive been a bit busy (bought and doing up a bach) but it will be done in due course. Especially now it has all been sealed.
No not my van as it has no signwriting, just my surname as a personalised plate and I dont take the van down Taihape way.
Stevo

kazbanz, Jun 24, 12:53am
Sheesh-Lusty what is your vehicle! where do you drive!
you'll get a big ol debate here about the best etc but without knowing the car and use its hard to offer specific advice

franc123, Jun 24, 9:38am
The other thing to look for is that snow tyres have a coarse block pattern tread which is instantly recognisable, although perhaps not to an untrained eye. The M+S description is applied to a broad spectrum of pretty ordinary road tyres in my experience, its not hard to see why it gets confusing from a laymans point of view.

morrisman1, Jun 24, 9:46am
I went through this issue when I replaced the tyres on mum's car. The replacements had M+S on the side and I immediately questioned they were the right tyres. A phone call to the tyre distributor revealed that they all have that for the US market and it all it means is its fine to use all year around. They are not the same as snow tyres. Only snow tyres are subject to the 4mm min tread rule.

A close look at the semi slicks for the track car reveal that even they have M+S written on them!

intrade, Jun 24, 11:17am
m+S tyre are fitted to all cars from october till april, they drive all roads mostly dry and snow free also on german highway. Some drive them in summer also once they get below 70% thread and buy new ones when october comes they last 3 years from date of manufacturing after that they are not performing in snowno law against not driving them to minimal thread all year, and no problem.and winter tyres and m+S are the samem+s can have a snow flake or not snowflake is not a standard icon.
the so called winter tyre dont exists other then probably in norwegen northpole . any tyre sold in europe is m&S mud and snowSo god only knows where you get your unique snow tyres from.

here what is standard
http://www.acura.com/images/faq-tire.jpg

franc123, Jun 24, 1:17pm
If you've read it or even know what it is, the distinction between snow and M+S is clearly spelled out in the VIRM, its obviously important to tell the difference between the two when applying the 4mm tread rule.Which amazingly enough was produced from information from tyre manufacturers. Satisfied!

lusty9, Jun 25, 6:11am
I have a holden crewman but come in to town through a shingle road and which can be muddy at times. I've always had road tyres but a friend of mine gave me a set of snow, mud tyres for $50 bux with 8mm tread on them which will fit my holden. I'm just wondering if I should put them on or on sell them for $50ea on t/m!

kazbanz, Jun 25, 6:43am
Lusty -On the side of the tyre does it say studless mud/snow !

stevo2, Jun 25, 7:07am
I chucked a pair of snow tyres on the back of the old Hiace a few years back. They were bloody noisey and only lasted about 20,000km. Never had issues with loss of traction or braking but they are not recommended for summer use. Next set was a pair of Firestone Destination A/T (all terrain) as used on SUV's. They had mud and snow stamped on them (which is a totally different tyre to a snow tyre) and lasted 60,000km.
If you answer Kaz's question #18 and it has snowflake and mountain??

intrade, Jun 25, 9:17am
the reason why winter tyres or lets say M+Sto be clear on what we talk as pure winter tyres are as common as hens teeth as no one would want tyres that can only be used on ice and snow as i pointed out above .
So i talk m+s and these are winter ( below 16 degree celcius is the temperature where winter aka M+S tyre perform ) in summer the softer rubber wears out faster and traction can be squealing due to the obvious fact of the softer compound that gets to soft the higher the temperature. after 3 year they say the rubber has gone harder and cant perform as wellin sub 0 temperature, usually a set of M+S winter tyre are worn out in 3 years and the last year they are driven in summer also to finish em off. This is how its done by almost all people driving in european climate like germany austria switzerland.this is not to argue but to clear up some facts.

morrisman1, Jun 25, 9:35am
well you got your facts wrong. M+S markings on the tyres do no designate them as winter only tyres.

"Winter tyre means a tyre which is principally designed to be operated at temperatures of less than 7°C. A winter tyre can be identified by its distinctive tyre tread pattern consisting of deep tread blocks with wavy sipes and is always marked with the word ???STUDLESS??

intrade, Jun 25, 9:48am
the 16 dergree or below is a indicator only as european tester haverecomended to use winter M+S tyre below 16 degrees any tyre rubber compound will be different from brand to brand its why you cant say exactly it is 7° + or 16°+ or below.Fact is that every winter cars in newzealand drop off the road on 1 inch snow. You show these videos to a german or other european and they roll on the floor lauging till they cry.

lusty9, Jun 26, 1:53am
yes they show studless so I think I'll resell them.

kngfhrt, Oct 12, 6:33pm
just finished reading most of this post and got a bit lost in it all. i have an old diesel Nissan navara single cab ute that just failed a wof yesterday. the only thing it failed for was the two front tyres "low on tread"
i've got two tyres in the garage that i can replace them with but first Im hoping they are street/ law legal!
On the sides it reads.
GARIT2 TOYO 185/70R14 88Q
STUDLESS Microbit compound
Tubeless Steel Belted M+S
i feel these tyres would be perfect as this vehicle sees more of the forestry roads and off the beaten track than it does the main tarmac
thanks for your answers in advance!

alltorque350, Oct 12, 7:00pm
STUDLESS means they are snow tyres. To use them you must have all 4 snow tyres with 4mm minimum tread depth