Mud/snow tyres

Page 2 / 2
intrade, Oct 12, 7:19pm
here is the truth mud and snow tyres as in M&S on tyres are ok for all year driving not recommended but you do need to have these fitted from october onwards in europe or your insurance wont cover you in a accident , germany just changed to this law few years ago switzerland always had this rule .
There seems to be big confusion over tyre as there seem to be dedicated snow ice tyres , but i personally have never in my live seen any of these nor are they sold in central european countrys from the regular shelf.

intrade, Oct 12, 7:22pm
m & s tyre do wear out faster in summer with hot temperature and also can squeal due to the rubber wearing , below 16 degrees is where the sortof rule apply to have winter-aka M&s tyre fitted in europe, Now we are on the other side of the planet but the rules of gravety dont differ and the temperatures are also +16° celcius+degrees is 16 degrees no matter where on this planet you are.

intrade, Oct 12, 7:29pm
here are countys and there rules for winter tyres in europe
http://www.rhinocarhire.com/Drive-Smart-Blog/Winter-Tyres-When-to-use-them.aspx

intrade, Oct 12, 7:34pm
maybe we see this rule passed in parliament soon they usually make rules wouldit not be a mint rule to screw and suck newzealanders a bit more dry of there money.
cut and pasted --->
Sweden
Winter tyres are only compulsory for Swedish nationals, however during the harsh winter conditions it would be the safe and sensible option for a foreign driver to fit snow tyres.
--> end of paste
i did hear the swedish government is one of the worst in whole of europe. and this just seems to confirm what i did hear.
this applys for almost all country the screw and suck dry there own people more then visitors , exemtion is switzerlandthey screwall and every one. You wont drive another meter untill you pay your speeding fine in that country to name one example.

kngfhrt, Oct 12, 8:14pm
thank you for clearing that up intrade so these tyres are not just snow dedicated tyres only so Im taking it that changing just the two front failed tyres shouldn't be a problem. so i gather studless doesn't necessary mean 100% snow tyres if they are M+Salltorque350
thanks for your help.

rsr72, Oct 12, 8:59pm
Winter/snow tyres are perfectly safe to use under normal dry road conditions.
-despite the utterly unfounded mindless panic generated in little NZ a year or two back about them.

mrfxit, Oct 12, 9:09pm
Sipped reading most of this BUT .
Mud/show = MS
A lot of All terrain tyres are marked as MS

The main issue is with tyres designated MOSTLY for show/ cold region usage
THEN there are variations between how far the tyre is designed for SNOW
Do a Google search for AT & MS tyres, you will get BOTH dedicated types & variations in between.

SNOW tyres are for COLD showy weather & as such are dedicated for they usage & have a very distinctive thread pattern

1 of the biggest clues is if the tyre is marked as "studless" = winter/ SNOW

mrfxit, Oct 12, 9:20pm
Show tyres fail in the hot weather because they get too hot which makes the rubber too soft to hold the tyre firmly on the road.
It's a bit like the difference between having the butter on the bench in summer or in the freezer.
Also. because the tyre is running a lot hotter then intended, means it will wear a lot faster

rsr72, Oct 12, 9:32pm
#33- The 'hot weather' is a fallacy. US drivers use them in their hot summer weather without problems, and they have no requirements to remove them.

intrade, Oct 12, 9:34pm
same as in switzerland or germany miniumum threaddept apply do cops mesure your tyre and if there is one below minimum 700 bux fine and car wont move another meter it be loaded on to the back of a truck, So you seldom see people drive with worn tyres as they know whats comming if they do.

alltorque350, Oct 12, 11:30pm
Studless does 100% mean snow tyre.