USA vs Jap Ute VS Jap Truck Tow Vehicles

Page 2 / 2
thejazzpianoma, Jun 22, 5:56am
A better question is what isn't there purpose.
Its a powerful luxury car, thats also affordable to run, has offroad ability yet handles great on the seal and best of all has monumental towing abilities.

Oh and with regard to the clip, when the OP wants to tow 3 Tonne through a sand dune. I will refer him to the Toyota.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 22, 5:58am
I never said it would be easy. in fact I pointed out it would be very difficult to find one in the price range. BUT. they do pop up now and then so worth keeping half an eye open as the vehicle is light years ahead of the other options.

As for the "piddly" 2.5, sure the V10 is better, but the 2.5 will still easily hold its own against the others in question and significantly out perform them in some aspects. Its still rated for 3500KG, you of all people should understand CC ratings mean nothing when you are talking about properly up to date engine technology.

craig04, Jun 22, 6:02am
Off-road ability! Obviously not anywhere as extreme as a beach.
Oh, and when the OP want to tow a 747, I'll refer him to a V10TDI Touareg with a modified/strengthened chassis and 7 extra tonne of ballast.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 22, 6:05am
Thats right, even with an 80 Tonne airliner on the back they still have to weigh the snarling beast down with an extra 7 Tonne to keep her under control
Then add more strength to the chassis to stop it literally ripping itself in two. now thats a car that can tow!

craig04, Jun 22, 6:05am
Anyway, my recommendation would be for a 80 series VX Landcruiser TD. Mine was great! Towed anything and averaged 13L/100km's (mostly round town work).

thejazzpianoma, Jun 22, 6:10am
Yes they were work around town.
I actualy don't mind them. But I would never pay the silly money people want for them in NZ, remember you are talking about a vehicle that came out nearly quarter of a centurey ago. They are also ridiculously high maintenance compared to modern vehicles.

Times change, unfortunately though I must concede at the price point of the OP they are just shy of getting in to the properly good modern stuff.

Anyhow, enough stirring from me. I will stop polluting the OP's threads with ideas that are not sanctioned by the regime.

chris.f, Jun 22, 9:58am
Well I didn't mean to start a war, but I think I may focus on the VX Landcruiser, I'm not out to reinvent the wheel. I really wanted a ute as I have to carry heavy starting batteries to start my race car (3 x N200 batteries) and a ute mean they could be hoisted out, but hey I'm sure I'll work something out. So these VX auto's are plenty strong enough for HD towing or better off with a manual!

johnf_456, Jun 22, 11:02am
Plenty of mirrors on trademe going cheap. (:o

gorgie14b, Jun 22, 11:03am
Why not take a unique approach. The japanese make a motorbike that turns into a full dolly tow truck! Seriously!
Watch footage on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=uFe1r8DnQqQ
Imagine the unique look for your business, and how well you'd do at being able to be first on scene in Motorway crashes

chris.f, Jun 23, 11:22am
Don't these only have a 2500kg factory tow rating!

thejazzpianoma, Jun 23, 11:30am
Ahh so you are towing the race car with it then!
The member above "SR2" tows his race car with a Common Rail Diesel Ducato Van which he swears by. Oddly they tow big loads really well and give you excellent space for locking away tools, spares or even sleeping in. They are also a joy to drive and really get out and boogie if you want to pass or deal with big hills. Its worth considering as getting into a modern common rail diesel is a massive advantage in power, fuel economy and service costs. To give you an idea we are talking twice the economy, up to 6 times the service interval (seriously!) and then less than half the volume of oil compared to some. The difference between common rail and old style diesels is monumental.

Anyhow, enough from me, I don't want to start another distracting war, but seriously give it some thought and talk to sr2. Thats what I would be doing in your situation, and I say this having used a Common rail Ducato for hauling big loads myself.

Oh and they are definitely available in your price range and while the tow ratings vary around the 2000kg - 2500kg mark, I would assume that you may be carrying a few hundred KG of spares/tools on the trailer. If so these could likely just be transfered to the van bringing down the weight on the trailer if it was a concern.

bashfulbro, Jun 24, 3:40am
wrong .

chris.f, Jun 24, 7:13am
I can't imagine why a vehicle rated at 3000kg towing capacity would be at risk of it's chassis snapping in half! Surely it has to proof it can tow this safely before it's given a rating! On the same track, how does a 4.2 turbo Nissan Safari get a tow rating of only 2500kg!

bobwyn, Jun 24, 7:58am
I got a safari turbo and it on here for sale they weigh 2700kg . my brother had a 1988 6,2 turbo gmc jimmy and the safari just cleaned up .

msigg, Jun 24, 10:10pm
The safari weighs 2450kg.