Best option for more fm stations in jap import

Page 1 / 2
drainpipe, Feb 24, 1:15am
we have a jap import with all the integrated stereo / air con etc on one screen. what options are there for getting more fm frequencies! we can get one station we can listen to but would be good to get others. maybe we can get a fm transmitter and use an mp3 player that has fm reciever, or are the fm transmitters not that good! is there a fm transmitter you can but which also has a fm receiver in it so we dont have to use mp3 player! thanks

jasongroves, Feb 24, 1:18am
I reckon the FM transmitters are shit to be frank. They pick up interference pretty easily.
Does the factory unit have a tape player, as you could use a tape adaptor to plug into an MP3 player.
Another option is to get a good quality band expander.
They aren't too bad reception wise.not great either but would do what you want.
Pretty cheap to get installed too.

drainpipe, Feb 24, 1:27am
nah just a cd player, any band expanders ive heard were crap but maybe a good one may be better! i dont mind installing stuff myself, would just be good to have a choice of stations

jasongroves, Feb 24, 1:30am
No room for a standard sized head unit! Or is it one of those massive double DIN units that take up the whole console!
These from Jaycar are pretty good quality:
http://jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp!ID=AR3100&CATID=24&form=CAT&SUBCATID=526

jasongroves, Feb 24, 1:34am
You could also get a cheaper one from the Warehouse.
But in saying that, you could get one installed professionally by an auto sparky for not much more than the cost of the Jaycar one.
Those integrated stereos can be a right prick to remove.
What make and model is it!

drainpipe, Feb 24, 1:35am
No, definetly cant remove the standard sytem, it has like a tv screen that has gps, radio, air con, fuel consumption etc etc on it, and then all the buttons on the dash. ok thanks maybe ill look at putting in band expander instead of fm transmitter.

drainpipe, Feb 24, 1:36am
nissan presage, new shape 03

drainpipe, Feb 24, 1:36am
i remember putting a band expander on a car years ago - would of been a cheapy and it was crap.

johnf_456, Feb 24, 6:39am
Just get a nz radio IMHO, also has better signal and no more plus ten or whatever your booster is.

franc123, Feb 24, 6:48am
More like buy a vehicle thats NZ new fullstop.Problem completely solved, why people purchase a vehicle where a significant and really essential part of it is largely unuseable in this country and difficult to change is a mystery.You can always add a GPS and reversing camera into it later if you want to.

1fordluva, Feb 24, 6:49am
Just wire in a new one,piggy back it off the exsisting system

johnf_456, Feb 24, 7:23am
Each to there own, I'd much rather change a radio then have a car with full of problems. NZ owners are shocking for maintaining there cars compared to Jap's. The only time people really do something in NZ is when it fails a wof or "it stopped" "its broke". The amount of poorly maintained nzcars I see vs Jap imports is crazy personally.

loose.unit8, Feb 24, 7:24am
$100 band expander lol - was it gold plated!

drainpipe, Feb 24, 7:48pm
The stereo was the last thing on the list, we wanted the great seating layout of the Presage for the family, wasnt not going to buy a car because the stereo didnt get all the channels.

drainpipe, Feb 24, 7:49pm
Thats what i wanted to hear, one that had been installed and still sounded good. Might have to look them up

drainpipe, Feb 24, 7:51pm
Can you remember the type / brand they were! where to get them from!

sifty, Feb 24, 9:01pm
I read that wrong, thought you were trying to pick up 'More FM'.

I would pay extra for a car that excluded such crap stations, myself.

drainpipe, Feb 24, 9:13pm
haha! me too!

richardmayes, Feb 24, 9:19pm
What sort of car is it!

Sometimes there is an aftermarket conversion kit available to replace the factory stereo + aircon controls with a standard double din stereo slot.

Google :
DOUBLE DIN STEREO CONVERSION KIT [MAKE AND MODEL OF YOUR CAR]

I know one is available ex Australia for V6 Skylines, and I think one is available ex USA for Honda Euro accords.

drainpipe, Feb 24, 9:21pm
its a 03 - new shape nissan presage. i wouldnt go to that much trouble for it, it just the wifes car and shes not fussed, it was just if i could do something cheap maybe under $100 i would do it if the sound quality was ok. has anyone else had experiance with fm transmitters and the reception!

drainpipe, Feb 24, 9:53pm
looks like another option is to get an FM modulater which taps into the aerial cable going to the head unit. this then gives you an 3.5mm AUX input so you can plug in mp3 player etc. looks to be a lot better than a transmitter. so i could then use the fm tuner in an mp3 player.

vtecintegra, Feb 24, 10:41pm
That is apparently the best option for quality - supposedly slightly better than a cassette adapter which works more than acceptably for me.

Edit: I've use various wireless transmitters and while they can be acceptable out on the open road they've never been usable for me in the city.

drainpipe, Feb 24, 10:46pm
As my stereo has a separate cd player and mini disc player i wonder whether i can disconnect them at all and use the inputs on the main unit! will have to pull some of it out to have a look i guess

vtecintegra, Feb 24, 10:46pm
Not solved as such - newer NZ new cars have integrated systems too (look at a P12 Primera) and although they will get radio stations there still isn't an easy way of connecting an MP3 player (which is far more important to a lot of people)

valentino, Feb 25, 3:20am
drainpipe, I've just got the 2005 Presage and yes, know where you coming from re FM etc.
My first thought was the overall appeal of this vehicle, things like the stereo is secondary but I also knew that perhaps I will change the stereo configuration. I also have asked questions on a few auctions to know if there are some whom can install these in place where the disc player is, looks as though there is sufficient space in this area for a totally new complete stereo player including the disc playing into this area and keeping all else on the dash as such. It should be able, someone must know especially perhaps these Asian experts, hopefully.

Editing to add, I know of one place in Dominion Rd, Auckland, a driveway between shops near target end.

Cheers.