NZ new or Jap import?

fordluva, Mar 26, 7:45am
currently looking at a new vehicle for the wife, we have decided what make, model etc we want, and have a handfull to choose from, most are imports which seem a bit nicer and have slightly less mileage along with many of the extras we wanted but I am drawn to the same vehicle NZ new, similar price butslightly higher ks, none of the extras we wanted all based on the idea of reliability, we have been bitten before buying a low mileage import that used oil at 90,000kms, and generally I havent had any issues with NZ new vehicles, the wife on the other hand has had mainly imports and had reliability issues with most, could be the way she drives! but Im starting to think an NZ new car might be the best thing for her, or am I still living in the 80's!

2lo4ho, Mar 26, 7:46am
still living in the 80s. get a nice jap import with all the bells and whistles. they are equally reliable if serviced and maintained

im_andrew, Mar 26, 7:50am
Depends what car you are looking at really.

GDI legnum = no good
NZ new galant wagon = better.

johnf_456, Mar 26, 7:50am
NZ new does not always mean a good thing that is an old time thing, the fact of the matter is in my experience japanese owners service there cars more than the average new zealander who drives there car until it stops. Just my 2 cents, so don't let it be a limiting thing, nz new cars also generally have less options than the Japanese counter parts.

But totally car dependent of course.

fordluva, Mar 26, 7:52am
Nah mate, been there done that (GDI) and couldnt agree more, looking at 2000-2003 Estimas/Previas

johnf_456, Mar 26, 7:55am
Estimas are not very reliable personally I would not touch them with a barge pole, ask intrade.

fordluva, Mar 26, 8:01am
LOL theres not much intrade would touch, and the later ones I hear are vastly better than the earlier models, space is the main issue hence why Ive been doing a bit of homework on these.

cjdnzl, Mar 27, 12:41am
Japanese vehicles are better built, NZ spec vehicles can leave out things like side intrusion bars in doors etc, as happened a while back.Just beware imports with snow tyres, get new tyres all round before you buy it.

rlnhrd, Mar 28, 9:02am
stay away from front wheel estima, 2az motor, they have been know to burst into flames

utwo, Mar 28, 10:18am
The opposite can also be true. I remember reading in NZ Car magazine when the Honda Logo was first sold new in NZ the Japanese spec didn't meet NZ safety requirements and from memory it was the lack of side intrusion beams.

sifty, Sep 6, 11:48am
If the import comes from the North East check for squid under the seats.