Older euro car or newer jap

Page 1 / 2
sparkey2, Feb 14, 12:16am
am looking at getting say a 2002 merc (roughly 60,000k on the clock) or a 2009 jap car like a corolla (20,0000K on the clock) as they cost round the same.any opinions and advice would be welcome.

vtecintegra, Feb 14, 12:20am
What type of Merc!

Anyway I wouldn't be cross-shopping those at all, decide what it is you want and go for whichever suits best

sparkey2, Feb 14, 12:27am
was after something smallish so clk 320 too big, was thinking C200 but that seems like a lower type merc.driving is mainly commuting to work so motorway as well as traffic jams!

richard198, Feb 14, 12:30am
If money was an issue, you'd spend heaps more on maintenance with the Mercedes.

vtecintegra, Feb 14, 12:39am
I would take a Corolla over a C200 - if you want a Mercedes get a decent spec one.

freedomaira320, Feb 14, 12:49am
If you follow your head the Corolla. It's going to be way cheaper to run and more reliable. But if you follow your heart the Mercedes will be more rewarding because it's a bit more interesting. Though for me, not interesting enough to overcome its disadvantages, so would probably go for the boring Corolla.

sparkey2, Feb 14, 12:56am
thanks for all your opinions, freedom you hit the nail on the head with that last comment.i guess its boring old corolla or what about a mazda 3! they are round the same price. cant afford brand new for anything so definately cant afford major maintenance like on the merc so that is now out.

vtecintegra, Feb 14, 1:04am
I don't think the C200 is in any way an interesting car.

Anyway there is definitely a middle ground like a Mazda 3 or possibly even an Accord Euro

sparkey2, Feb 14, 1:16am
prob budget round $20K, commute to work motorway and town driving. prefer something a bit sporty, not a 4 door but prob a 4 seater, coupe or something like that.tired of boring same old cars!

fiatracer, Feb 14, 1:34am
no doubt the Merc will be a better drive. but I'd have to err on the side of the corolla. That era of Merc gave plenty of expensive problems. BMW E46 3 series would be better.

fiatracer, Feb 14, 1:36am
snap! am currently shopping on behalf of someone. Same budget, needs to be 4 door. Have tried 06-08 Ford Focus [pretty good], similar age Mazda 3 [ok], then an 03 BMW 320 M Sport for same price - older, but MUCH better to drive. Next am trying an 04-06 [Mk 5] Golf. might be the 'sweet spot' in between them all

vtecintegra, Feb 14, 1:37am
Its way nicer to drive too.

You could get a very nice V35 Skyline coupe for that price too, but the styling doesn't suit everyone

fiatracer, Feb 14, 1:53am
like this! >322781608
one of the best looking Japanese cars ever. amazing what they did, considering the truly hideous sedan it's based on!

sparkey2, Feb 14, 2:24am
the v35 skyline is certainly a nice looking car.

mini cooper might be a bit small.

vtecintegra, Feb 14, 2:28am
Hey I'm driving the sedan model right now.

I agree the looks are not for everyone but would have thought the same would apply to the coupe

fiatracer, Feb 14, 2:41am
oh yeah, think I've mixed my models actually, this is the one I really don't like > 351640909
especially in yellow

tree51, Feb 14, 3:41am
We have had a few older euros and had a really good run with them. Five years ago we started buying brand new japas. I like the little things such as when I wash the car it has no marks on it and every thing is covered by warantees and they never need anything done. Brand new jappas for us from now on.

richard198, Feb 14, 3:58am
I agree, although the 335i someone mentioned would be out of OP's price range.

vtecintegra, Feb 14, 4:06am
That was mentioned in comparison to the G35 (which is like a top-spec Skyline)

An E46 330i is a great car too though and should be easily in budget.

scotty20001, Feb 14, 4:13am
i would say MK5 VW Golf GTI reliable arse kicking performance i would have one of those over a 3 series anyday for fit and finish alone.

fiatracer, Feb 14, 4:46am
well, I'll find out tomorrow :-)

clark20, Feb 14, 5:28am
Yes, in this case I would go for a MK5 Golf as well if you can get one down to $20K

chris_051, Feb 14, 5:52am
+1 Mk V Golf GTi, best of both worlds.

russ6, Feb 14, 5:52am
I'm going to buy a Nissan Patrol 4x4 or a Toyota Starlet. what do you think would be best!

clark20, Feb 14, 6:02am
A pushbike!