? from a girl who knows nothing about cars.

michelle313, Jun 23, 7:54am
How long should brake fluid last before needing to be refilled!Thanks.

red97, Jun 23, 7:57am
should last forever
unless its leaking i think

neryl1, Jun 23, 8:03am
5 years

thejazzpianoma, Jun 23, 8:04am
As above (red97, not neryl who may have been drinking brake fluid), but it should also be completely flushed and replaced every 2 years. But Kiwis are generally only interested in having some mythical Japanese reliability badge on the front and pay no attention to actual maintenance.

Anyhow, if yours is going down get it looked at. Often leaks will be hidden out of site and making your brake shoes/pads wet. This not only ruins the pads/shoes but can cause partial failure of your brakes which of course is dangerous.

michelle313, Jun 23, 8:05am
I thought it should last quite awhile, I must have a leak.Thank you!

dent, Jun 23, 8:08am
I dont think it matters where that badge is from to make people think they dont need to maintain there vehicle.

michelle313, Jun 23, 8:12am
Thank you!My car tells me when brake fluid is needed.So I did a couple of weeks ago and then it told me again today.So I will get the car in the shop asap.Cheers!

thewomble1, Jun 23, 11:53am
Brake fluid absorbs moisture so you should get it tested and if necessary replaced. At the same time get the garage to check for any leaks.

solarboy, Jun 23, 1:42pm
That was hours ago !Thought you'd be back from your leak by now .

kazbanz, Jun 24, 12:59am
michelle- as you have picked up brake fluid doesn't normally "leak" away.
But as the brake pads and shoes wear down the fluid level in the resevoir drops.This is totally normal.
Definitely do take the car into a mechanic though

michelle313, Jun 24, 2:26am
Good one Solarboy!

Kazbanz, I expect the level to dropbut I don't expect it to be bone dry in 10 days!