Keeping stored m/cycles upright in chch shakes

roadkillcafe, Jun 22, 12:33am
just wondering if anyone has a set up which is better than just normal kickstand for keeping motorbikes upright in the event of a big shake! (i'm thinking of potential damage to whatever might be next to the motorbike (such as your car, etc) any ideas/products to mention!t.i.a

quickbuck, Jun 22, 12:39am
Try getting a channel for your front wheel, anchor it to the floor. have some anchor points either side of it. Then get some BIKE strops from your local bike shop (NOT MITRE 10) and hook them awound your lower tripple clamps.
With practise the bike can be secured in under 2 minutes with gloves on. I have a similar arrangement on the back of the ute for the race bike, and I can secure it while still puffing after the race ;)

quickbuck, Jun 22, 1:41am
In fact, I have a design for a self contained unit in my head. I can see a market, I just wish I had both arms working, and a welder.

robinm1, Jun 22, 4:34am
Although I am not in ChCh, having seen for myself how much damage can occur if a bike falls over, I now have a pair of tie downs hanging from the rafters above and off to each side of where I park my BMW. I put the bike up on the centre stand then attach a tie down to each pannier rack and tension up the tie downs. Bike now safe.

richardmayes, Jun 22, 4:47am
Have you seen those hooks you can buy in cycling shops, for hanging bicycles from the ceiling by the front or back wheel!

They are basically about an 80mm diameter giant rubber-coated cup hook with about an M6 coach screw threaded part on the end.

Get one of those, screw it into a wall stud just above top of the bike height. Park motorcycle against the wall by the hook. Take a strop / ratchet tiedown / rope / whatever from the hook, around and around your motorcycle, and back to the hook.

Total cost: about $20 (and one unsightly hole in your garage wall, if it is gib lined. Would look much better than a motorcycle-shaped dent in the side of your car, or a floor-shaped dent in the side of your motorcycle though.)

[Edit: these things:]
http://www.mitre10mega.co.nz/Image/item/xlg/218572xlg.jpg

brokebloke1, Jun 22, 5:04am
my bikes have been thru all the shakes from sept to current day and not one of them has fallen over , all (3) have been on their sidestands
When the first one hit i was worried about them but no they just dont drop over

quickbuck, Jun 22, 10:18am
kazbanz, we are on the samewave length.

kazbanz, Jun 22, 10:29am
well we do go in the same circles I suspect.

quickbuck, Jun 22, 11:09am
Well, yeah. I suspect so too. Guess we get ideas as we walk around looking at pit set-ups.