Cambelt change

fordoverholden, Jun 17, 5:34am
on a Mazda 121 Revue Autozam 1992. How much you reckon at a rough guess. Christchurch. Thanks

fordoverholden, Jun 17, 5:40am
1600cc. Hope your right "Cheaper than what i thought. Not chain driven "I dont think as i can see the cam cover.

mugenb20b, Jun 17, 6:08am
Why not do it yourself! It only takes an hour.

fordoverholden, Jun 17, 6:18am
One wrong move and my wife will chop me up into little pieces. Not somthink i want to try my self

phillip.weston, Jun 17, 6:58am
easy engine to do, but if it's anything like the Mazda Demio the chassis rail is in the way of access to the crankshaft pulley bolt and that needs to come off. I ended up dropping the engine down off its engine mounts a couple inches to get a rattle gun in there.

grangies, Jun 17, 7:05am
That's like asking someone, why not panel and paint, their dented car.

I know it's not rocket science, but it is something that the average person doesn't know how to do, and also doesn't really ever want to know how to do it.

mugenb20b, Jun 17, 7:30am
Yes, I see where you are coming from, but looking at OP's username, I only assumed that he had some mechanical knowledge.

unbeatabull, Jun 17, 7:46am
Would offer to do it myself being in CHCH but Trademe doesn't like that!

They are a easy engine to do, parts are cheap for them (both genuine and aftermarket depending which route you go) and aren't too labour intensive. At worst I would expect around $100-$200 for parts (Depending on if you do tensioner, water pump, crank/cam seals etc) and around 2-4 hours labour, again depending on seals, water pump etc being done, Labour rates can be anywhere from $50 to $100/hour these days depending where ya go, but generally most cases you get what you pay for.

carmedic, Jun 17, 9:23pm
Yes 'free' coffee and a big screen TV in the waiting area!

thunderbolt, Jun 17, 10:03pm
Mazda 121 with a 1600!

Engines
?

morrisman1, Jun 17, 10:20pm
stuff the cambelt change, just put a BP-T in it out of a GTX 323. Or else a B6-T out of a 323 BMFP.

eagles9999, Jun 17, 11:43pm
And the economics of doing this!

johnf_456, Jun 18, 1:43am
You do a engine swap because a car needs a cambelt change.

morrisman1, Jun 18, 6:31am
what better occasion to do it on!

unbeatabull, Jun 18, 7:40am
And technicians that have been properly trained and equipment that is right for the job. Albeit on a car of that age probably not so important, but your typical $50/hour corner garage wouldn't know where to start with half the modern stuff we work on these days. There are of course exceptions to this but generally speaking.