Ideas on value? 1990 VN Commodore V8, 90kms

200sx, Jul 16, 2:09am
A mate has inherited an absolutely mint VN Commodore Executive V8 sedan from his fathers estate. The guy didn't get on with his Dad, even to the end, so just wants to get rid of the car and get some cash to put on his mortgage. Each to their own. Having had a look around, low mileage mint VN Commodores are hard to find these days, let alone V8 ones. Its auto, has aircon, and is factory standard apart from a big bore muffler. Even has all 4 factory hubcaps, plus a huge wad of service history from the same Holden dealer since new. I took it for a burn over the weekend, drives like new and its like a timewarp condition wise. I suggested to him to set the reserve at $5k and see what happens. Any thoughts!

fiatracer, Jul 16, 2:15am
are savvy Holden fans looking at this era of car. yet! I was looking at a VN Statesman a while back, the long wheelbase one. Was only 3k and I wondered if it would in a few years be considered [almost] collectible! Alas, it was a V6 so maybe not so much.

lordv81, Jul 16, 2:22am
Standard VN V8 not very collectable considering SS VNs can be had for as little as 3k albiet a bit rough.But being of such low kms,who knows!5 grand may not be too far off the correct price,depends on how quick he wants rid of it.

200sx, Jul 16, 4:37am
The value of older cars like this is pretty speculative. I've 3 "old school" Holdens locked away in storage (a wee bit as an investment, but mainly as I have thing for mint, older cars) - one of them is an original VN SS with 77kms on the clock. Now I paid $9k for that 2 years ago, and drive it once a month at the weekend. Cool car to cruise around in. A VN Executive such as the one mentioned isn't really collectible yet, and it isn't an SS so the whole "street cred" isn't the same, but being a V8 helps - I reckon he should get $5k, most likely the buyer will be an enthusiast (and hopefully not some bogan who will turn it into a Group A replica wannabe sh#tbox.

kdcentralni, Jul 16, 4:42am
Someone will still just daily that. Ask yourself would you rather have that old V8 or your'e $5k cash, I know what I would want. $9k for that 77k SS sounds like huge money, but I wouldn't know in all honesty.

200sx, Jul 16, 5:30am
Well in the current economic scene a lot of folks are certainly holding onto their cash and not buying toys, or gas guzzlers for that matter. Good on them if thats their focus. $9k might sound a lot for a 22 year old Commodore, but she is a minter, and rarer in white (was special order only - most of the ones out there are grey or red). And also considering the price band for a car like this is $10k at the top end down to $3k to $4k for high milage sh#tters. I've seen dealers even this year try and flog off examples with 200+km on the clock for $9999 or more. You just have to shop around and unearth the good examples. And I guess the other thing is that each person has a type or model of car they'd pay a bit more to get in to. I've seen it plenty of times with Jap performance cars, BMWs, convertibles.