Wiring spotlight relay on VS Commodore, help pls

40wav, Jan 10, 8:44am
I've checked the wires that feed the headlights but it is not as simple as 'low beam-one wire live, high beam-other wire live, feed relay'. All wires seem to be live when the lights are in different positions. There is also a wire that is live on high beam, not on low beam then live again on park and lights off. I remember having (and solving) this problem on another vehicle some time ago but can't remember what the solution was. Can anyone here enlighten me before I pay a visit to the local auto sparky for advice! Cheers.

40wav, Jan 10, 8:45am
To sum up, all I want to do is feed the spot light relay on high beam. Cheers.

bigfatmat1, Jan 10, 8:50am
By your description I would say It's a negative switching system you need two wires to feed the relay from high beam the negative and the feed wire if you are confused pull all the plugs off the lights and test with lights unplugged that way you wont get confused by the back feed through the bulbs. The two wires will go to 85 and 86 on the relay respectivley.

40wav, Jan 10, 9:15am
Thanks for the reply. I did pull the plug off and test, and was still confused. Can you explain further what I need to look for and connect. How will I tell if it's a negative!

40wav, Jan 11, 6:57am
Is anyone able to shed some light on this for me!

bigfatmat1, Jan 11, 8:16am
unplug left and right lights test for power with lights on there will only be one power supply with lights disconected. Connect the power to 86 of the relay now put ya test clip on positive of battery flick high beam on only one wire wll light up the test light, tap in and connect to 85 of relay connect 30 to power and 87 to spotlights ground the other side of the spotlights

bigfatmat1, Jan 11, 8:17am
x1
if you need a switch in there as well runn in series with 85 0r 86

40wav, Jan 11, 8:21am
Awesome. I had only disconnected one light to test the plug and still wasnt sure how to test for the neg. Much appreciated, Thanks mate.