My car broke :-( advice please

stargurlie, Aug 8, 8:11am
Turns out it needs a new starter moter. i know nothing about cars and have a day (tomorrow) to find one. where would be the best place to find a good one, eaither cheap or new, in tauranga! and also how much do they cost! thanks

gammelvind, Aug 8, 8:14am
Cheaper if the car is blue than red :-)

moosie_21, Aug 8, 8:15am
And what exactly is wrong with getting a second hand starter motor and repairing the one you have! It will be immensely less costly than buying a whole new car.

yeahm8, Aug 8, 8:15am
What kind of car and year!

stargurlie, Aug 8, 8:17am
i ment a new starter moter, not car. i have a silver car mitzi emmaraude! 92 i think, i already have a dead blue honda in the garage :-(

stargurlie, Aug 8, 8:23am
i really want to know approx how much they cost, 2nd hand or brand new, so i can figure out if i can afford a new one or a 2nd hand one!

moosie_21, Aug 8, 8:28am
You need to find a reputable mechanic, or go back to the one who told you you had a dead starter, get them t price some 2nd hand and new ones up, then make a decision from there with labour costs factored in. Someone will come along soon and give you a ballpark figure to do this, use it as a guide. Good luck!

v8_mopar, Aug 8, 8:28am
second hand about $60 - $100 plus fitting

phillip.weston, Aug 8, 8:31am
if it's a V6 the starter motor can be removed in a matter of minutes, even a 4cyl one isn't too hard to replace either. A mechanic should be able to replace a starter in 30 mins. 2nd hand would prob be anywhere from $49 from pick a part to $100ish from other wreckers. You may even find one here on trademe. New starter might be around $250-350.

stargurlie, Aug 8, 8:35am
My friend came and looked at it and told me it was the starter moter, he told me to go and get one tomorrow and he will put it in tomorrow night for me. thanks, i think i might ring around tomorrow and get some prices. thanks i will check them out. i do need it by tomorrow though cos im borrowing my neighbours car for work. yes its the v6 car

stargurlie, Sep 22, 10:50pm
thanks thunderbolt, have just emailed them. they sound highly reccomended