Ford falcon efi help please

shazza541, Aug 4, 7:42am
So my ute had been running fine up until it sat at work for about 4 days. after that it started up fine but wouldnt idle properly and would shudder and backfire under load. I got it home and changed the plugs which were quite carboned up. I started it, it ran perfect, idled for 3-4minutes then shut it off. Now, 2days later it wont start at all. the battery has gone flat (which is way out of the ordinary) so hooked it up to my wifes car, now it will crank and crank but wont fire. Also now when you turn the key to IGN, the amps gauge only sits around 10, instead of 14. I've never had much to do with efi before so am unsure where to start. any advice much appreciated.
engine is a 4.0 tickford I6

chebry, Aug 4, 7:45am
Ignition module dead

shazza541, Aug 4, 7:47am
could you elaborate please!

*edit just got some info off xfalcon.com and will give that a go

carclan, Aug 4, 8:27pm
Try the igniton coil, it sits under the intake manifold and are known to crack and produce symptoms just like this - while mind did anyway

unbeatabull, Aug 5, 12:12am
What model Falcon! Some had the distributor igntion while the EF went to a wasted spark coil setup.

granada, Aug 5, 12:27am
Never seen a Falcon with an ameter. Are you sure its not a voltmeter. It will sit at battery voltage when the ignition is turned on . 12volts and rise to 14 volts when you fire it up and the charging system kicks in.

What colours your ute as without this info and model, year etc its like poking a stick at a dead horse.

roys351, Aug 5, 9:36am
its 4l so its after 1988 coil pac would be where i would look first they can cause intimitant probs so can test ok when they are not pre 88 prob ing modual in dist common fault hard to diagnose.they allways work when ya test em just to piss ya off

shazza541, Aug 6, 8:48am
hey its a 94 xg xr6. has distributor ignition. distributor is tucked down under the inlet manifold in a real tricky spot

steve312, Aug 6, 8:52am
Sounds like a stuffed ignition module.Very common problem with these especially if the ignition system hasn't been regularly maintained.

unbeatabull, Aug 6, 9:13am
Yup. Common for the module and also the distributor/rotor/cap etc to give trouble, especially at the age they are now. And yup, in a very fun place to get to!

pickles26, Aug 6, 9:26am
ef and El had single coil. Judging by description of missing first my guess would be a coil this could be determined by a scope on the primary and looking for a high trigger voltage

chebry, Aug 6, 9:38am
Ignition module is inside the distributor and are notoriously unreliable to the extent earlier points dizzys became hard to find as replacements good luck

unbeatabull, Aug 6, 9:41am
No EF had 3x coils operating two plugs each and was a fully electrically controlled system. They had problems with the coils and a lot were replaced under warranty and since and rather then fix the problem they chose to revert back to the distributor system for the EL.

franc123, Aug 6, 10:15pm
And then revert back to a near identical system with the AU. The AU1 uses the exact same coil pack as EF, check the part numbers. The coilpack system was not used on any Falcon ute pre AU, they were all TFI distributor systems.

unbeatabull, Aug 7, 6:35am
Semi Correct. Same part numbers, different manufacturer :) Most EF's got replaced with the updated coilpack from the new manufacturer that the AU's had - it was a campaign/recall back in the day.

cp2011, Aug 7, 6:44am
i found if you take the oil filter off and try to get at the dizzy\ coil from underneath its a lot easier than trying to get at it from the top

brokebloke1, Aug 7, 7:08am
yes place car on ramps remove oil filter just did one on a mates AU falcon sedan on sat took about 1hr to do

franc123, Aug 7, 7:10am
They were all Bosch coils from what I have seen, as were the single tower transformer coils fitted to the other models, the AU2 and 3 coils were different from the 1's. Who was the second manufacturer!

unbeatabull, Aug 7, 8:17am
I can't remember. Ill have to have a look around at work and see if we have one lying around.