What oil ratio kx80?

jrd78, Aug 4, 12:08am
Bought a kx80 and been told by Kawasaki mechanic 33:1,but have read that people on forums run at anything from 36:1 to 50:1,what do you guys run yours at, thanks in advance

bill-robinson, Aug 4, 12:40am
phone the dealer,easy

the-lada-dude, Aug 4, 1:55am
depends a lot on the oil you are using, and the age of the en.i think the old fashioned 2 /engines used lots of oil in the mix as they did'nt have needle roller bearings 16:1most modern stuff would be 33:1 then depending on oil type50:1 +

jrd78, Aug 4, 5:28am
I did speak to a dealer,hence mechanics answer in op,but have heard/read different answers,some say at original mixture the engines bog down to much e.t.c have been told to run at 40:1 mixture today by someone who has been trail riding a 2 stroke for years

budgel, Aug 4, 6:09am
I have found 40:1a good all round mix for everything from chainsaws to mowers and weedeaters and small outboards.

There is enough oil there so you dont run dry, but not too much to foul it all up.

I use this ratio but only with a high quality oil.

It is not so far from 33:1 to be too much of a problem as long as you use quality oil.

Take it from there. If it seems smokey go to 50:1

Have you checked the manufacturer'srecommendation!

bigfatmat1, Aug 4, 6:26am
probably best to have a look in w/shop manual. Download one my cr250r manual recommends 20:1 this is expensive when mixing with 100+ . 10
L of fuel and oil costs $50

muzz67, Aug 4, 8:32pm
depends entirely on oil quality. shit oil may still destroy bearings at 20-1,, exellent oil at 20-1 is money down the drain.

kazbanz, Aug 4, 10:02pm
The KX80 is soposed to run at 33/1 based on using a good quality at least semi synthetic oil. Thats a really good baseline to work from.
BUT I'd then be taking a good look at the rider and how they ride the bike. The 33/1 is based on a fair bit of throttle wide open type riding.
I found that unless the rider is utterly fearless from the get go you are better off running 40/1 for the first couple of tanks as they are puddling around at lower revs getting used to a bike with a pretty narrow power band. My reasoning being that you will find you clean/replace a lot less plugs and have a lot less of that frustrating kicking for ages getting it going again after an off or stopping for awhile.
In essence as I said earlier the KX80 runs best having its kneck rung-if you aint gonna be doing that then 40/1 is fine.
MY personal rule of thumb isif the bike is full throttle more than 50% of the time I prefer less oil
--Ive owned KX80/KX85/kx125 and KDX200/220

budgel, Aug 4, 10:54pm
x1
Kaz, that seems to contradict what you were saying about using 33:1 for more high speed work.33:1 is more oil than 40:1.

Am I missing something!

mrcat1, Aug 4, 11:31pm
You could just use a SAE 30w engine oil like they used to years ago and it will run for years on a 20:1 mix ratio.

mrcat1, Aug 4, 11:35pm
Don't quite understand your thinking there, if you are riding it hard you need to add more oil not less, as the engine will be a lot hotter and in turn be burning the oil better.

kazbanz, Aug 5, 12:33am
maybee I said too much or diddn't say it right
--ahh blow it I just reread the last line--IGNORE THE LAST LINE
Sorry guys -It was soposed to say UNLESS you are at full throttle more than 50% of the time you need less oil
For a NEW rider go to 40/1 to reduce fouling plugs,zorst packing and power valves. (whilst they are spending most of their time below the power band
Once they are using high revs a lot go to 33/1.

Basicly Ive had to decoke too many power valves and exhausts in the kids early riding to comfortably run 33/1 whilst still learning a peakiy stroker.
Incidently The KX85 has a "fatter " power band and is a bit easier to ride but I still recomend a diesel (four stroke) for learner riders

muzz67, Aug 5, 6:56pm
meybe in th 'good old days',, not ina modern high-stressengine capable of 12000rpm withextremely tight tolerances.

tazcsv, Aug 5, 9:42pm
Go 33:1 and it will run great.

jrd78, Aug 10, 12:56am
Thanks for the input guys, the oil I ended up buying is valvoline 2 stroke racing oil,once the tank is empty will run 33-1 and see how that goes,bike starts 1st pop hot or cold at 40-1