Mazda Atenza, Yes or No?

Page 1 / 2
sunny_daze, Jul 27, 12:49am
After all my dedicated research and looking around to find the best car (and heaps of help for you lot) hubby comes home and has 1 type only that he wants. My husband is as clueless on cars as me but decided he like the style of this car.
So can anyone tell me if this is a good reliable car that shouldn't cost us too much over the years! Also is there a particular year that is better than others!
And thank you once again for your help:)

rovercitroen, Jul 27, 12:54am
If you are looking and test driving Atenzas / Mazda 6s be sure to do comparison tests with other similar cars in the same price bracket. For example Ford Mondeo, Suzuki Kazashi, VW Passat. Are you looking at new or used cars! Enjoy.

sunny_daze, Jul 27, 12:58am
Used and under 10k which is looking possible but with not many options. Husband is stuck on this car for some daft reason, hoping to get him to open up his options a bit more but first wanted to make sure this car is a good car to buy, it will be a family (3 kids) car.

smac, Jul 27, 1:19am
Is he aware that under $10k is only going to get the old shape! Hopefully he hasn't got his sights on the 2009 one.

sunny_daze, Jul 27, 1:21am
Probably not. I haven't found many under 10k and see what you mean by the different shapes. Will see if I can find the style he likes (what I think he likes anyway)

mopsy3, Jul 27, 3:02am
We bought my parents a 2002 Mazda 6 a few months ago for $9500. It was a great buy and is really good to drive in all aspects. It says it is on 10l/100k which seems Ok to me as I am used to 16-17/100. We looked and looked and Mondeos etc in the same price range didnt come near to the Mazdas. Keep an eye out, they are out there.

gman35, Jul 27, 3:20am
We have a Mazda 3 with the 2.3l and it is great , and you don't fall asleep driving it compared to a Corolla (ok some of that is due to the road noise with the wide 17" tyres and apparently rubbish sound insulation). Both our year one ('05) and similar year 6 is better looking than the current "dumpy styling , smiley front with too large lights" 6 in my opinion anyway. **You will want a 2.3l in the 6 especially if it is a 4sp auto,as they do rob a bit of power**Phew-enough numbers there for you !

thejazzpianoma, Jul 27, 6:06am
I actually quite like some of the Mazda product but not for what most are asking. 10K for a 10 year old example!

That's Mercedes C Class money and even those are over priced.

Economy is also an issue as well, 10l/100km is not good at all by modern car standards. Not when 10K will almost buy you a MK5 Golf that will average around 6.5l/100km for the same sort of running and still have loads of grunt.

If it were me in your shoes with ultimately 3 kids on the go and 10K in my pocket. I would buy a Touran, its the fantastic VW Golf running gear but you get a huge luggage space and a pop up seat for any time you need to take extra's. It will have to be a bargain one for 10K but its entirely doable with some patience.

It may not look quite as pretty but its going to be considerably more practical, very nice to drive, better featured and above all a lot easier on the pocket to own. You are effectively buying a car thats a good 10 years ahead of the Mazda technologically and it shows in both driving experience and running costs.

If that's too people movery for you there is always the MK5 Golf for much the same money.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

mephestopheles, Jul 27, 9:34am
Go for the mazda, they are good cars. Dont bother going european stick with japanese and you will have no troubles. There plain and simple.

realtrader1, Jul 27, 9:44am
Wow.now that's going a bit far, don't you think!Comparing apples with apples, maybe fewer troubles.Sorry, I am NOT trying to be pedantic but there is a need for some accuracy here I think.

albid, Jul 27, 1:47pm
Im looking at a Mazda Atenza as well. One thing i can't get past is the prices. Car yards on trademe wanting 20k for a 2002.
It's confusing with the huge gap in years and huge gap in prices, you never know what a fair price is.
I know they are popular but even paying 15k for a 9 - 10yo car is pushing it.

franc123, Jul 28, 12:29am
Before anyone else makes a gumboot of themselves like this poster has I'd like to point out (yet again) that the Mazda6 shares the same engine and transmission, including being made in the same manufacturing plants, as the same era Mondeo, along with a large amount of other development DNA. Keep this in mind when you are looking at the rude asking prices for Atenzas by comparison when browsing through listings, although granted some buyers may prefer the look and feel and spec's of the Mazda. There is absolutely no difference in mechanical reliability.

franc123, Jul 28, 12:34am
Yep it is absolute stupidity. Great if you are a Ford buyer though, as above, its quite funny to think that Mazda have become some sort of a "brand snobs" vehicle, they are still only a manufacturer of Jap appliances like their peers.

curlcrown, Jul 28, 12:36am
Wat yard is wanting 20k for a 2002! You can get a 2009 from a yard for 16

albid, Jul 28, 12:54am
Quite sad as dealers etc will be missing out (maybe) on money from over priced vehicles. I've been searching for an Atenza for 4 months and the the same Atenzas on Trademe have stayed the same price and haven't moved.

sunny_daze, Jul 28, 1:29am
Thanks for all the suggestions :) It seems hubby likes the ones with spoilers (cause thats how you choose a car!) I managed to get him to show me a few other cars he liked but they all look to be too expensive.
So basically I need to find something cheaper that look similar lol

trdbzr, Jul 28, 1:30am
You can buy those cars a lot cheaper. That particular dealer is horrendously overpriced.

As for buying from a dealer, I have found that as long as you get a proper inspection done by people who actually know how to do one properly (NOT AA, Vtnz) then you can buy privately and save some $$$.

edangus, Jul 28, 1:36am
Mazda Atenza = Good Car. Not great car, but Good car.

Great Car = EVO10!

sunny_daze, Jul 28, 1:37am
Good car is good enough and cost enough too : )

edangus, Jul 28, 1:38am
Rather have a Honda Accord or Accord Euro.

edangus, Jul 28, 1:38am
Exactly

vtecintegra, Jul 28, 1:50am
I'd probably go for either the Accord Euro (which is a slightly nicer car at the same price as the 6/Atenza) or a Ford Mondeo (which is nearly as good but much cheaper).

skyblue17, Jul 28, 1:53am
So dont buy from a price-gouging dealer at Trade me. You can do way better elsewhere.

sunny_daze, Jul 28, 1:54am
Honda accord is on my list too thanks.

sunny_daze, Jul 28, 1:54am
Don't worry i was just finding an example of the car. Trying to stay under 10 k if we can.