Fined for no rego but my rego was on hold

Page 1 / 3
mitsiboy69, Jul 24, 9:18am
A few weeks back my car was parked outside a workshop in town waiting to be worked on, the rego was on hold as It had been off the road for quite a while. A parking warden fined me for not displaying a current rego. They don't give you a display card when you put the car on hold so it just looked like It had expired.

I know your not supposed to drive the car when it's on hold, but the fine they gave me is wrong. There is a separate fine for operating a car with an exemption from licensing but you would only get that if you were pulled over by a cop.

So is it worth writing in and trying to get off the fine!

andrea_w, Jul 24, 9:19am
*facepalm*

That is all.

kiwi-d, Jul 24, 9:19am
worth it if you want to save 50bucks

amie10, Jul 24, 9:20am
Go on. Give it a go and let us know/have a bit of a laugh

kiwi-d, Jul 24, 9:20am
as its 150 for using vehicle with rego on hold, where its 200 with overdue rego

one-one-alpha, Jul 24, 9:25am
A bit tricky to get off the not displaying rego ticket, get the mechanic to write a letter stating that the car was undergoing repairs to get it up to wof standard and he parked it outside the workshop for a short period of time. try as hard as you can to get off the $200 ticket (that I think parking maggots shouldn't be empowered to give anyway)

sfw4, Jul 24, 9:25am
get Shop manager to write you a letter or take in receipt to prove that you have gotten a warrant and rego since car been worked on and fixed up

mitsiboy69, Jul 24, 9:27am
Yea well technically it was the wrong fine so I shouldn't have to pay. But I bet it will be a huge hassle getting off it.

tandj3, Jul 24, 9:31am
Give it a go for sure, you should definitely be able to get off as it was having repairs, you can't register a car if no WOF and it might not of got a WOF as it needed repairs. (sometimes you have to wait for the workshop to be available to do the repair)i work at a panel and paint shop and,haven't had it happen yet, but sometimes we need to park cars on street if shop full and if that happened would do all we could to help get owner off fine.

smac, Jul 24, 9:32am
What's your source for this!

kiwi-d, Jul 24, 9:44am
got done on one my bikes with rego on hold and no wof, got 350 fine in total, 200 no wof, 150 riding with rego on hold,one my other bikes riding no wof no rego, pulled up got 400.

mitsiboy69, Jul 24, 9:46am
I'm pretty sure it's on the NZTA website smac. Even if I wasn't getting work done on the car the fine they gave me is invalid. They can't change the fine to the correct one so they should have to drop it completely.

m16d, Jul 24, 9:48am
And. using a vehicle with the rego on hold will get your number plate confiscated too.

pauldw, Jul 24, 9:50am
What was the warrant status! NZTA say "If you are using your vehicle on a road solely for the purpose, and directly to the place, of inspection, servicing or repair, you will have a defence for using an unlicensed vehicle. " often enough that someone must succeed with it as an excuse.

one-one-alpha, Jul 24, 9:53am
No it's not an invalid fine, the fine is for not displaying a rego, so even if you had a current rego and it had fallen out of the slip you could still recieve that particular fine

thejazzpianoma, Jul 24, 9:55am
You are absolutely and categorically allowed to have your unlicensed or reg on hold vehicle on the road for the purposes of obtaining a WOF.

As yours was waiting outside for work to be done it dosn't come more straight forward than that.

Be prepared for bully tactic's, luckily council's are often much more reasonable than the Cop's who have straight out lied to me and said this is against the law.

Its VERY important that we stand up to this sort of thing. No one (except perhaps johnf_456) wants to live in a country where you can't go about your daily life in a reasonable fashion without breaking the law on a technicality.

Best of luck!

mitsiboy69, Jul 24, 9:56am
Yeah, I guess I should just pay it. If it went to court they would probably slap on the $150 for operating with an exemption.

It had a current WOF, so I can't use that as an excuse.

pauldw, Jul 24, 10:01am
How long ago! Now if stopped
"Not displaying a current vehicle licence properly: $75
No current vehicle licence: $100 + 15 demerit points"

No current vehicle licence $200 if Parking Warden.

dent, Jul 24, 10:15am
I had a vehicle parked outside work that the rego had lapsed. Was waiting for an engine. I got a ticket from a warden for no rego. Rang the council, wrote a letter and got off the fine. So worth a shot

mitsiboy69, Jul 24, 10:17am
Did you have to provide any evidence!

johnf_456, Jul 24, 10:18am
Actually you can edit me out of that, I agree with the fact of not being ticket for the rego / wof providing you are bringing the vehicle into compliance. We all have cars that cannot get a wof from time to time so we do need to transport them providing its safe to do so. To get work done, get parts etc. As you are legally allowed to by law, if you are just driving around then thats a different matter.

So that is a tad over the top, I am not that pedantic.

les6, Jul 24, 10:49am
yes you are!

morrisman1, Jul 24, 11:13am
how can your 'registration' be uncurrent, unless you let it lapse or hand the plates in! Perhaps you can try get off it using this method. They should be ticketing for not displaying a current LICENCE, not registration.

nzeva, Jul 24, 11:40am
C'mon guys.how hard is it to remember NOT TO PARK your unlicensed/unwarranted car in a public place.park it on private property, otherwise the council will ticket you!

net_oz, Jul 24, 5:31pm
You're not really serious are you man!
You've obviously not had much in the way of dealings with councils. Would sooner deal with the police any day.
Oh, that's right, this is your opportunity to once again put it out there that thejazzpianoman hates the police.