Waste oil,

the-lada-dude, Jul 23, 2:40am
i've still got plenty to get rid of, but i finally got my waste engine oil burner working to near perfection, i got some ideas fromU/Tube( no sense reinventing the wheel ) but sometimes you end up with more unanswered questions. anyways an old alloy fry pan, modified brake drum and 4 x home brew beer kit tins with the ends removed ( stacked one on top of the other ) a fewholes drilled in the right places and ' bingo 'once the burner is up to running temp, there is absolutely no smoke and very little smell, i reckon the little sucker is producing about 6 Kwit burns about 1/2 lt every40 min. now to find some more bits to make a water heater, or you could heat ya house, cheap as chips

tazcsv, Jul 23, 2:50am
I friend of mine has done just that, he has radiators all threw the house so he converted his to burn waste oil and it works great. do you pre heat the oil! He has no smoke and no smell, this thing burns motor,trans,gearbox oil.

sifty, Jul 23, 3:04am
cool, got a pic!

gadgit3, Jul 23, 3:11am
You got some pic's lada-dude! I'm looking to build one for a spa pool heater and wouldnt mind a few ideas.

gammelvind, Jul 23, 4:52am
Think of building one of these,
http://www.murphysmachines.com/waste_oil_heater.html
Looks like it would do the trick

rod-zone, Jul 23, 5:22am
I have a proper waste oil burner or frost pot.they are the best and as said above they burn real warm and nearly zero emissions.one thing though.Don't allow any water AT ALL near the burner,and definitely not mixed in with the oil.it must be clean old oil.honestly it will end in disaster if you do.oh and don't feed it after mid night.lol

the-lada-dude, Jul 23, 5:34am
hey guys, no i don't pre heat the oil, but to get the sucker going i dilute the the first cup full of oil with about 30 % petrol and throw in some dried twigs, you don't need a hell of a lot,( diesel would be way safer than the petrol, which i'll start using, its just the lawn mower tin was handy ! )yes i'll get my son to show me how to post photos. you'll have to wait till friday. in the mean time, go to google and type in" home made waste oil burner "you'll find two basic types.one is force fed air, the other isn't.mine is the non force fed air type. watch a few clips and you'll get the idea pretty quickly. wanta build one !right.start hunting around for an old pot/fry pan( mines aluminium and about 200 mm at the base and sloping sides. i had an old rear brake drum ( the type that has the bearings integral with the drum, try not to use this type as its a mission to open up the centre ) the drum fitted nicely into the fry pan ( drum sits in pan as if you where putting it back on the car )now the drum will probably need the centre hole opening up to match your chimney, my tins are 100 mm in dia so out came the grinder the drum i used still had the wheel studs sticking out which turned out to be frigg'n handy as it supported and centralized the first chimney tin,ok, it might pay to knockthe studs outa the axle flange and secure them into the drum. this will block the stud holes in the drum and support your chimney whist experimenting.now dill 4 x 12 mm holes further out toward the o / d of the drum, (just so you miss the inside edge ) these holes are too big but thats ok as you can slide washers across to regulate air flow.
this is your PRIMARY AIR this keeps the fire going, you will need at least one tin on the drum to get the air flow going.right the next thing to experiment with is the SECONDARY BURN AIRthese are a shit load of small holessay 1.5 mm in diadrilled around the circumference of the base of the first tinthis took a bit of experbut you'll needabout 4 - 5 rows say 8 - 10 mm apart in both directionsonce its burning i just batch feed mine as i was still shaggi'n around with iti also had the f / p sitting on a well insulted surfacejust get it burning and you'll figure it out

thewomble1, Jul 23, 10:48am
I converted an old copper to use waste oil and used it to heat water for home killing of pigs.Small pipe with a tap to control the flow and let the oil drip onto a small solid piece of metal sitting on the grate. Started using wood and once plate was hot enough turned on theoil.Worked very well and at the same time got rid of that waste oil.

the-lada-dude, Jul 23, 6:55pm
see there's lots of ways to skin a cat.or pig !

intrade, Jul 24, 11:54am
i got a professional build burner and it needs cleaning the plate from ash every 8h running time.

trader_84, Jul 24, 6:14pm
Mate, great write up! Can't wait to see some pics . I still have problems trying to visialize it all - but cool all the same.

trader_84, Jul 24, 7:04pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch!feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=FvcgokYbpAg
lada dude, is this the concept here! Whats that LPG tank looking thing above the burner!

the-lada-dude, Jul 24, 8:48pm
hi there toSIFTY,GADGIT3 , TRADER-84. and any one else. yes trader- 84 that's exactly whati'm banking on about.apparently that's a take off ofa burner by OZZIRT .mmmm. anyway, that's the best built burner i've seen by far. if you copy that burner as accurately as possible it'll run BUT ! things to note :there appears to be a tray or something with a handle underneath the pot, this could be a drip tray or an insulation medium to protect the floor !note how the fuel line arc's up under the stove for pre heat.see that the pot" primary burner " has air hole at oil inlet and at least one extra air hole to the right hand side of oil inlet.the round pipe with lots of small holes is the " secondaryburn air "this bit is quite important as it allows extra air in to burn the hot oil gases.the holes toward the bottom of the pipe are more important than those at the top, but flue length may alter this theory.i think his stove is based around truck brake drums. did around in you / tand find the original ozzirt stove as what's in side those drums is very important to.OKyou have have four major things to control how the stove performs.oil flow, primary air, secondary air and flue suction.and this is why you build a PROTOTYPE first. so you can monkey around and understand how the frigg'n thing works. you can alter things to your hearts content.other things of interest. this stove is an air heater, for a water heater version i would insulate the burner region completely so the primary and secondary air flow is heated as it passes past the burner. also s / s pots and secondary tube burner would be a goer as s / s has poor thermal transferabove that burner region is your water heater, copper inner pipe obviouslylooks like the chap in the video clip was using waste veggie oil, engine oil will burn differently, he was using about 600mls fuel an hr that's about 10Kw/hrnow off you go and collect those bits for your prototype

sifty, Jul 24, 8:56pm
Tempting, it has all the ingredients of tinkering in the shed, making something out of old bits of tat, and the element of danger that appeals to blokes.

Will look into the Ozzirt system, cheers.