Law changes - 2 down, 3 to go

tgray, Jul 20, 5:30am
Yes, we've got pictures on our divers licenses and finally sorted the give way rule.
Now, how about compulsory insurance, one year WOF's and road user charges built into the pump price.

sw20, Jul 20, 6:27am
No for compulsory insurance. When they got you by the balls, prices will rise.

I have full comp. I don't care if you don't have any. My insurance company will just ream you till you bleed.

chebry, Jul 20, 7:01am
There should be a light vehicle class for diesel cars under 1500kg and anual roadworthys like NSW would make sense the bianual system is a scam

berg, Jul 20, 7:26am
VTNZ are already screaming blue murder over the WOF review. They can see their profits halving over night

cowboy110, Jul 20, 7:30am
Yes.to compulsory insurance (and police it like the Poms do. Show me your insurance or your car is impounded)So many insurance companies will get in on this that there will be competion and therefore competitive prices.Annual WOF's!.not sure.As everyone points out, a WOF is only good for the day that it is issued so if you've got just passable tyres at the WOF inspection I question whether a lot of New Zealands drivers would even give those tyres a second thought till the next warrant.12 months down the track.RUC's at the pump!I guess for the majority of owners of "road driven" diesel vehiclesit would take away the extra responsiblity of buying separate RUC's.For those that buy diesel for "non road" use (tractors, generators etc) it will just mean more paper work and red tape claiming tax back from the government.I think the Road User Charges as they are work OK.

pollymay, Jul 20, 7:38am
What he said.

Plus the attitude of the Poms I saw the other night on TV was appalling. Rather than being happy they didn't get any uninsured cars while on patrol they basically slammed the public and the system being easy for "hiding them" because they knew the roads were just brimming with them. Uhhhhh sure buddy, besides that all the ones they get are the same turdboxes as here that are unsafe etc, normally not just the insurance that is the issue; the owner doesn't give a toss about anything, has 3 warrants for arrest and has no money to pay the fine anyway. The same ones peeling off the pink sticker to keep driving their car in NZ.

cowboy110, Jul 20, 7:51am
Yeah I know, hoping that every car on the road has insurance is a big ask, just like hoping that everybody behind the wheel has a drivers licence.The downside to the current system is that the responsible people who have insurance are paying huge premiums because of those uninsured cars.Mind you, like sw20, I'm fully covered so shouldn't be too worried what others do.

pollymay, Jul 20, 8:00am
We actually have very low premiums. In places where it's compulsory you put the incentive for corporate lobbying in place. You get areas in the US and UK where the insurance companies have you by the balls but rather than driving premiums down they use the opportunity to drive them through the roof and turn ridiculously large profits, they don't have that corporate leverage here to do that. The profits the insurance companies overseas turn off such systems are mind boggling, then you get the government trying to step in to control a situation they created when it goes beyond simple overcharging to simply being more profitable to unfairly operate then pay lawyers to hold off any cases against them using loopholes and diversion tactics.

Some of the overseas health systems can be the same, we have it pretty good here.

pauldw, Jul 20, 8:36am
AFAIK there are just as many cars with no compulsory 3rd party insurance in the UK as we have uninsured cars here. Just because it's compulsory doesn't mean it happens, look at the number of expired licence labels you see around here. The major component of the UK 3rd party is the ACC equivalent risk that is covered here in rego and petrol taxes. The insurance companies see compulsory 3rd party as a reduction in the number of fully insured cars so that cost will rise.

franc123, Jul 20, 10:49am
Yes sure are, as are their masters the MTA. The cosy little COF monopoly could also evaporate too. There are some serious and frankly damn good proposals being laid on the table with this VLR package. Will be interesting to hear their justification for why we need double or more than double the amount of safety checks done on vehicles here over their lifetime than anywhere else in the world, and why legislation first put in place in 1938 is still valid today. Fun times ahead for everyone. Compulsory insurance! Not going to happen.

aredwood, Jul 20, 8:41pm
Have you thought about what would happen to those who can't get insurance due to things like drink drive convictions and previous claims denied! Either the govt will pass a law saying that insurance companies must insure everyone regardless of risk. Which will mean higher premiums to low risk drivers. Or these people will just drive without insurance like they do now.And another law will make no difference to those who break the current laws. Either way compulsory insurance doesn't offer any benefit to those who already have full cover insurance.

elect70, Jul 21, 2:41am
Did you see on Irish Customs they have green deisel- cheaperfor agvehicles use , but van driver caught using itgot2 000 quid fine,could have been 5g

bellky, Jul 21, 2:49am
No for compulsory insurance.

Like others have said.