Kerzan 'coin' on engine

morrisman1, Jul 19, 10:59am
The SR20VE we got has a small coin stuck to the side of the head, has KERZAN written on it. Any ideas what the meaning of this is! We bought the engine from autoparts chch and it was an imported engine from jap land.

nathanmac, Jul 19, 11:06am
http://www.kerzan.co.nz/
is what google suggests.

morrisman1, Jul 19, 11:09am
I found them but dunno what they would have to do with it, all the original liquid gasket is there, engine hasn't been apart from what I can tell.

nathanmac, Jul 19, 11:13am
that's the extent of my input.the site seems to suggest they might do quite a range of stuff - maybe they previously had the engine!

phillip.weston, Jul 19, 11:17am
aren't they the little indicators which show if the engine has been overheated or not! I know some engine builders put them on engines they rebuild so the warranty can be voided if they can prove the engine was cooked.

nathanmac, Jul 19, 11:32am
Good point, and they do indeed sell them.

Edit to say it's possibly been installed by the second hand dealer so they know if the motor's been fired up!

morrisman1, Jul 19, 11:47am
I just emailed Kerzan and will let you know if they come back with some useful information

NZTools, Jul 19, 6:56pm
It is an overheating indicator. If the engine is cooked, the glue melts and the coin drops off. No coin = no warranty.

floscey, Jul 19, 7:49pm
heat tab , they copied the k-line heat tabs.

morrisman1, Jul 19, 8:08pm
a quick google of heat tabs and yes thats exactly what it looks like. What sort of temperatures will these get set off at! its on the exhaust side of the head so potentially the hottest section

floscey, Jul 19, 9:40pm
250F on the k-line ones,then the centre falls out.

nathanmac, Jul 20, 5:54am
The Kerzan website had the temps - I was looking at them last night.There is a high temp and low temp version.