HYOSUNG Leaner Motorbike?

rusty_thomson, Aug 27, 2:56am
Hey I'm looking at getting a motorbike to use while I'm on my motorbike learners and have been looking at HYOSUNG GT250R's. I've seen a few for around $3500 which is a bit above my price range but I might be able to splurge and get one. I was just wondering are they solid, reliable bikes! I really just want a nice sports bike thats reliable and won't break down which I why I was trying to get a relatively new one. A few are in Auckland and I'm in Christchurch so its hard to view them (not like I would have any idea what to look for though). But yeah if anyone has any tips or advice on what to look for that would be great. THANKS!

noswalg, Aug 27, 3:35am
From what I've heard they are pretty reliable and a good learners bike due to being quite a big bike for a 250, although they don't make a lot of power it'll be fine for commuting. The ninja 250R is another option

superfreek, Aug 27, 4:07am
There's a tone of helpful people and info about it on kiwibiker.co.nz
From what I have seen they don't have any major problems - however they are very heavy, so are slow in comparison.Also if you are new to riding, it may pay not to go for a full fairing bike, because you WILL drop it as a learner some time.

ninja_man, Aug 27, 4:08am
the ninja 250r would be out of his price range. the gt250 seems to get pretty decent reviews. Check the condition of oil, chain/sprockets, pads and all the other usual things.

ninja_man, Aug 27, 4:11am
yeah, a bike with no fairing would be better suited, however crash knobs can easily be put on a bike with a fairing. saying he WILL drop it is a bit harsh, i didn't when i was a learner.

superfreek, Aug 27, 4:17am
That's true, and there are people who never drop there bike - but realisitcally the major majority of learners do. So in all likely hood he probably will.But yeah, just check it out before buying.

tazcsv, Aug 27, 4:56am
I had a 2007 one for my 1st bike and it was great. Not high on power but thats a good thing for a learner. Im still shaking my head about the BS of being a learner so you will drop the bike my guess is he did so that tells you what sort of rider he is.
They are a good bike so go test ride one.

gilligan2, Aug 27, 6:08am
Buy an rs250 aprilia FFS!

franko171, Aug 27, 6:12am
bit like saying you have learner for car not all crash

gilligan2, Aug 27, 6:16am
WTF^

ninja_man, Aug 27, 6:40am
not a good bike to learn on. lol

rusty_thomson, Aug 27, 10:17am
Thanks for all the comments. I think I'm going to go ahead and look at one. My mate used to have one so rode that a couple of times and felt pretty good. I'm about 6 foot 3 so hopefully I can handle keep it up and not dropping it. Also whats a crash knob! Thanks

ninja_man, Aug 27, 10:24am

also known as frame sliders, rubber things that stick out from the fairing preventing fairing damage if you fall off bike. Here's what they look like.
http://www.slipstreamperformance.com.au/store/images/7503819L.jpg

superfreek, Aug 27, 11:01am
Umm Wtf! There are so many more variables that can cause you to drop a bike than crash a car.

skinhead88, Aug 27, 6:00pm
I had a hyosung gt250 a few years back, the only issue I had with mine was on the frame where the front forks are wasnt dipped properly at factory. no really biggie though was about $400 to sort. good reliable bike not too fast but not too slow either. for the money you should be able to find a cbr250r and that would be a lot of fun

ruaphu, Aug 28, 2:22am
Hey Rusty, good bikes if, and I mean IF they have been maintained. Not much power, 21kW but will happily sit at highway speeds OK. They have adjustable foot pegs too, which are great for taller riders. They have a known issue with relays under rear seat tend to work their way out which will stop the bike dead, easy fix, use a nylon tie around them to hold in. Parts are cheap, easy to maintain. Instrument panels have been known to be inaccurate too, Speed, fuel or distance meter from bike to bike, why, dunno!
Overall a good starter bike (if maintained) A mate had one and toured the country on it regularly, no issues but he ensured it was fully maintained. The only issue that he had was the clutch cable tended to bind up from time to time. Infact he liked the 250 so much he traded up the GT650r which is now highly moded, this bike has been every where, hes done approx 30thou k's with out ANY issues in the last two years.

Another good starter choice would be a honda VTR or VT or Xelvis 250, bullet proof and good resale values. They tend to range in power from 30 to 36kW and five and six speed gearboxes and accomodate taller riders well.

Good luck with the search, Cheers

berg, Oct 1, 5:18pm
Yep, I used one to do my learner time on as well. If you look closely they are roughly based on Suzuki components (dealer was selling me parts marked Suzuki) just not as refined. Only problems I had were a shite chain (always adjusting the damn thing), a cracked exhaust header on the rear cylinder and a broken clutch cable at the 20,000km mark. Apparently the clutch cable is a common thing at about those kms but they are cheap as to replace. They do respond well to a decent muffler and removal of the baffles in the collector box.