Can Insurance co's get details of a cars insurance

tuimansion1, Aug 27, 8:34am
from there license plate! I was rear ended by a driver who was uninsured and wasn't driving his own vehicle. I am 3rd party fire and theft with state which gives me cover for uninsured drivers by their "Protection against uninsured drivers" claims. If liability is accepted by other driver they will cover up to $3000. My car was insured for 5 and is now a right off due to chassis , bumper, boot lid, rear guard etc damage. On the day of the crash i made a claim and the other driver, who was co-operative at the time. He admitted liability to State at the time but claimed he wasn't sure if the vehicle he was driving had insurance. He claimed he would get back to them. I rung him the next day and discovered he had no insurance. State will not pay out until they have personally heard this from him. 8 state phone calls later to him and a few from me, i paid him a visit where he claims hes done his part, hes accepted liability and refuses to answer his phone or reply to state. My real question is can insurance companies get details of a cars insurance from their number plate regardless of what insurance co.

Makes me wonder if I'll bother with 3rd party insurance after this. Might be best to just stick with full comp.

mel_nz26, Aug 27, 9:03am
Yes the insurance company would know if that driver had insurance or not- but you are dealing with state- if you have only third party cover then you are only insured if you hit someone else. Start proceedings in the DT for the guy that hit you.

tuimansion1, Aug 27, 9:12am
wrong, This is what my policy says.
Protection against uninsured
drivers

You??

tuimansion1, Aug 27, 9:16am
Apparently, according to the panel beater,not many people know about this.

They have also accepted my claim pending a reply from the other driver. But if they have ways around getting insurance details then my claim can hopefully get pushed through

supernova2, Aug 27, 9:19am
It will end up in the DT and you will win.State "should' help you as you have done your part.If it were me I'd be leaning on State - get them to put in writing whtathe hold up is.If its a prob with the guy who hit you then you can go see him again with a copy of the letter and politely of course tell him to sort it out.

tuimansion1, Aug 27, 9:22am
If it was worth taking to the DT would i be better off doing so without state and going for full insured value! or stil try get my 3g with state.

elect70, Oct 1, 12:17pm
Take states $3g & go after the driver personaly for the rest - if its worth it .