Why do people import the ugliest boring american

gammelvind, Aug 8, 9:08am
Eventually these huge lumps will become collectable I guess. Probably is a matter of taste.

stevo2, Aug 8, 9:09am
Agreed but if nobody bought them, they wouldnt be brought in.

richardmayes, Aug 8, 9:16am
You may have noticed the U.S. music and film industry has been waxing romantic about the idea of driving into the desert in a giant old bomb for some time now! That is probably the reason.

Case in point: I'm just gonna leave this here:
http://youtu.be/JsMUQK4jdsQ

rob_man, Aug 8, 9:36am
There's a lot of wannabe pimps around and now that whoring's legal there's work for them.

jkm, Aug 8, 3:55pm
Maybe cant afford a genuine muscle car so these are the second or third best option. Still a little different from the average jappa, but not my taste.

whqqsh, Aug 8, 5:27pm
I thinks its because a lot of more desirable years & models are way overpriced for us in the U.S, so ppl start looking laterally for options of what their NZ dollar can buy. It reflects in the range of cars now seen in shows, sure some are ugly but IMO its better than just seeing the same old line up of 60s Mustang, 60s Camaro & 4,5,6 Chev.

sifty, Aug 8, 5:51pm
Yeah maybe it's because they ARE big 80's whales that people want them,
Quite cool how they are so bad.

Actually I know a few sheilas who could be described as big 80's whales.

chebry, Aug 8, 6:28pm
Those were crap new and age hasnt improved them and a rebuilt tranny is mandatory with junk Ford AOD boxes

zephyrheaven, Aug 8, 7:04pm
Watching too much Donnie Brasco I would say, forget about it

peacebird15, Aug 8, 8:07pm
You buy a cheap yank tank to go around the US in, after you have had a ball in it, slept in it, and been on all sorts of adventures, you end up wanting to take it home with you.

serf407, Aug 8, 8:20pm
Dukes of Hazzard (the original series) and the Sopranos were other yank car watch tv shows.
Purchasers probably should learn songs like this
'Chevy don't let me down'
http://youtu.be/N4JVUfXthDU

trogedon, Aug 8, 9:52pm
Yep they're ;-(

trogedon, Aug 8, 9:54pm
There was more desirable yank tank at my mechanic's. It was a fresh import from the US but had rust, needed a lot of mechanical work.for a bit more $ (alot less than would need to be spent here) he could've got one in much better condition from the US.

elect70, Aug 9, 12:12am
Clunkers that yanks dont want anymoresopick them up for FA . Probably wont passtheir emissions tests .!

kevymtnz, Aug 9, 1:35am
reason why they should not be able to bring them here

tgray, Aug 9, 2:55am
The problem is, there is no law to stop you bringing in anything you want, despite the fact most cannot be made road legal.
When the owner realises this, you than get people putting false plates on and the like.

trogedon, Aug 9, 2:58am
Can you imagine yourself, back in the 80s, heading into a showroom, excited about buying such a car!!No, neither can I.

nzdoug, Aug 9, 4:16am
you can pick up junk like that for 200 bucks in usa canada.
Barf me out.

les6, Aug 9, 7:38am
a school teacher would not be able to afford one!

fordcrzy, Aug 9, 7:44am
wow look at the styling of that 1987 car.looks like a 1973 car!i mean compare that to car like the honda civic from 87.even a VL commodore or a bmw 6 series or a supra is generations ahead in styling. jeez the yanks just lost the plot in 1970 when it came to styling cars

tgray, Aug 9, 8:01am
Yes, it's hard to believe that's a 1987 car!
Definitely looks 1970's.